Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 9th, 2003, 12:41 PM   #346
Wrangler

Good question- I have a similar one-I see it supports the 500a but what about the 500ax?
Thanks in advance everyone.
Old June 9th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #347
Major Player

Hello,

I am hoping some users chime in here.. before i go out and buy my DVD burner.. what is the difference between the dru500a and dru50ax ???
thanks,
Mike Moncrief
Old June 9th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #348
Major Player

The answer to the question can be found at http://sony.storagesupport.com/cgi-b...A/faq/view/656.

The answer is that the hardware is identical but that the software isn't. You have to download some stuff for the A model, but everything is current for the AX model.

Sony is now up to the 510A, which writes -R, +R, and +RW at 4x. -RW stays at 2x. Same for the 500ULX, the external version.
Old June 10th, 2003, 02:22 AM   #349
Major Player

I have the 500ULX and vegas +dvd and what fun it is to make a dvd. I spent all of yesterday working on two different dvd's and they turned out just amazing. Also they looked great when played on a good entertainment system. I like the layout of dvd architect and the abilities it comes with. I do wish it has alittle more options.

Rob:D
Old June 10th, 2003, 04:45 AM   #350
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Will Fastie :
Sony is now up to the 510A, which writes -R, +R, and +RW at 4x. -RW stays at 2x. Same for the 500ULX, the external version. -->>>

The DRU-500AX writes at 4x.
Old June 10th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #351
Inner Circle

woohoo!!!

got any links for perverts like me ???

hmm.. boris in vegas... drool!!
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:25 AM   #352
Trustee

24P in Vegas 4.0

Does anybody know the pros and cons with converting an original interlaced source to 24p from the very beginning (i.e. from capture on) versus just rendering out the finished, edited interlaced movie to 24p?
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #353
RED Code Chef

The pro is that Vegas has to render less material when doing
things like effects, wipes, transitions and color correction. Since
you have 6 less frames each second.

But then again you need to convert everything you've shot
instead of everything you use....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:39 AM   #354
Wrangler

Wait, so if I shoot some footage on my DVX100 import it into Vegas then choose to remove pull-down, it's gotta go render ALL the footage I capture?! Am I getting this correctly or not?...At what point does Vegas remove the pull-down? I thought it automatically did it during capture without additional time spent "rendering" or "removing pull-down".
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #355
Slash Rules!

The newer versions have 24p selectable from the project properties. Doesn't this mean if you pull in footage from a DV100, already in 24p, there isn't any additional rendering? That's what I'd think.
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #356
Trustee

To clarify things, here's why I ask: When I captured and finished editing an interlaced video on Vegas 4.0, I rendered out to 24p and it kind of appeared to be progressive-looking. I was wracking my brain to decide whether or not the picture lost sharpness while I watched on a regular TV. So then I go ahead and capture and edit some more interlaced video but this time I set up my 24p preferences from the very beginning before making a single edit (if I'm making sense). When I rendered, the pictre was very (and I mean noticeably) stuttery. Did I do something wrong?
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #357
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

Vegas does not have to render a dvx 100 24P clip in order to play it back .. V will throw out the pull down "on the fly"(from dvx100) if project is set up as 24P project( remove pull down is checked under preference) ...

for a clip shot interlace that you want to convert to 24p. V will have to delete 12 fields every second = jerky video .. you might be able to make it a bit smoother by changing the current project deiinterlace method to BLEND ( FILE /properties)
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #358
Trustee

Okay. How about this: When shooting the XL1s in "frame" mode, does the editing software read it as interlaced or progressive scan? Keep this in mind when you realize that the preferences options do not offer 30p (as, I suspect, the XL1s shoots at. But then again, where did I read that the frame mode isn't a true progressive scan... Curioser snd curiouser)
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #359
Wrangler

I'm not quite sure technically how Canon does frame mode- I think it's something to do with the fields (obviously, right!). 24p with pulldown removed is true 24 frames per second. Frame mode is a tweak on the feilds the camera captures...rather than capturing 2 every second it captures 1 and repeats it so technically it's repeating every feild twice...giving it the appearance of 30fps, all the while sitll running at 29.97. All that rambling is my take on it- I could be wrong.

All I DO know is that frame mode is in no way a true progressive format. It's more about the "look" of the video, as it still (when broken down) is 29.9/60i footage. It's not similar to DVX100 footage in that it's progressive format can be retrieved via pull-down removal. I don't think you should have to worry about tweaking 24p settings in Vegas with XL-1s Frame-mode footage. It's to be treated as normal 60i. Though one thing Frame Mode is excellent for is grabbing stills from footage!
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:32 PM   #360
Major Player

Vegas capture and audio..

Hello,

When capturing video and audio in Vegas, seems like much of the time, the audio is garbled while capturing.. but sounds OK playing back on the timeline.. Am i missing something here to be able to monitor audio ungarbled ??

Thanks,
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...