Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 25th, 2003, 10:55 AM   #316
Regular Crew

Hi Don,

Thanks for your response.

I managed to suss out the 'add point' functionality of Vegas and it is very, very good.

I still find however, that some of the tracks are a little louder than others after I have finalised my session/project and played it back on my DVD player.

I guess a good set of earphones would help compliment me during the post production.

The master mixer is something I will perhaps tackle in the not too distant future.

Many thanks and regards,
Neil
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #317
Regular Crew

Works Great!!
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:43 AM   #318
Major Player

My guess is that Smart resample lets Vegas decide whether resample is needed or not. Force resample leaves the decision to you. I can't imagine that there is any difference in the resample itself.
Old May 26th, 2003, 02:01 AM   #319
Slash Rules!

So turning off the resample wouldn't solve my problem? Hell, I don't even know what a resample is. I'm sure it somehow involves sampling again.
Old May 26th, 2003, 02:22 AM   #320
Major Player

Turning resample off will make the render go faster. Keeping it "smart" will make Vegas decide - but Vegas may not alway make the right decision as far as flicker is concerned.
Changing the field order may change things, too. What versin of Vegas are you using? There was a bug once that set the field order incorrectly under certain circumstances - can't remember which. If you have V4, make sure you get the 4.0c version. Just install it on top.

You could find a lot of threads on flicker at the Vegas Forum
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/S...=185550&Page=0
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #321
Regular Crew

Saving frame x frame in Vegas

Hi all,
I was reading the tutorial on light sabers that was linked from this forum sometime back. I just wanted to see if I could make a couple second clip of my 7 year old son swinging a light saber. The info in the tutorial was for premier and photoshop. I am using Vegas and paint shop pro. They said to save as filmstrip, then bring all frames into photoshop and edit them. I can't see any way to do this in Vegas, so I saved each frame one at a time, edited them, then inserted them as stills back into Vegas. It seemed to work OK, but very time consuming. I can see where retouching the video frame by frame can come in handy for other projects and could make for some wonderful special effects.

Can anyone tell me an eaiser way to accomplish this is Vegas?

Thanks!
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:43 PM   #322
High School Student

Vegas -- 24P with 2-3 pulldown, or 2-3-3-2 pulldown? Whats the difference?

Hey, I was hoping someone could explain to me the difference between exporting 24p with 2-3 pulldown, and exporting 24p with 2-3-3-2 pulldown, in Vegas 4.0c...thanks.
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:50 PM   #323
Sponsor: JET DV

There is a script available that will save any timeline as a series of stills. Look on the Sonic Foundry download page and download the Sample Scripts. MANY scripts are availble that do amazing tasks. One such example is Excalibur at www.VegasTrainingAndTools.com.
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #325
High School Student

Thanks, that clears it up.

I don't have a DVX100, but I can still export stuff in 24p 2-3 pulldown mode, in Vegas, and print it to tape back to my camera, with no problems...
Old May 29th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #326
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward- I appreciate the quick response. I will check out the available scripts!
Old May 30th, 2003, 01:53 AM   #327
Slash Rules!

Faking a backlit window in Vegas 4

Okay, bear with me. I have a shot of two people on a couch. Behind them is a window, with the shade down and the blinds completely closed. The scene was actually shot late at night, but in the shots from the other direction, we attempted to simluate afternoon sunlight (probably not well, but anyway). The shots from this direction, though, don't look right because the window looks like there's darkness behind it, not light. Even with the blinds down, there should be somewhat of a glow to the window because of how the camera would see it.

I've attempted to fake this with Vegas 4 using the bump map effect set to to omnidirectional, and it looks okay. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it look more real, with the software I have available to me, namely Vegas 4. I can email pics if someone wants an example, but I don't have a site or anything to refer you to. Sorry.

Should we have had our key light outside the window, shining in, the whole time? Why yes, that probably would have worked nicely.
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:53 AM   #328
Major Player

Do you mean there are little lines of darkness that would otherwise have been light?
If you can identify that colour you may simply change it in colour corrector 1 and/or 2. BillyBoy has a tutorial at http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-menu.htm

The Light Rays FX will give you all the glow you want but will not lighten the dark.

Next try: Did you use a tripod? You could export a still and draw the light you need on it. You could then use Light Rays to diffuse it.
(You said you only had Vegas 4 available, but something like PaintShop Pro can be had for a 30 days(?) free trial period.)
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:53 PM   #329
Regular Crew

Also, please check out the 24p whitepaper here.
Old May 31st, 2003, 10:29 PM   #330
Regular Crew

Sparkling/reflective Text- Vegas Users

Hello Guys/Gals,

I am currently working on a wedding project on Vegas 4. At the beginning of the video, I have "Our Wedding Story" as a title. I was wondering how do you make the text appear as if it is sparkling or as if the text has a reflective surface and light sweeps across it? I hope you get the idea.

All relevant tips will be helpful. Thank you.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...