Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 120 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #1786
Sponsor: JET DV

Is it possible the scene selection menu is putting you over the limit? If it doesn't want to reencode without the scene selection menu, it obviously thinks it is encoded properly for DVD. The only other reason I know of is that it's too big. You said your main menu had a motion background an music. It *could* be that the second menu is just pushing it over the limit.
Old December 30th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #1787
Wrangler

Star Wars Effect

Some fun with Vegas
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:04 AM   #1788
Wrangler

To solve this problem I re-encoded the main peice at the *default* perameters set by the DVD Architect template. I believe it's variable bit-rate (high-8mb, average 6, low 1.8) is this ok? Will it make static shots like black backgrounds with a white logo look bad beings it isn't in motion thus causing it to render with less of a bit-rate? I rendered a short sceen a while back using the default perameters and it looked fine- I just figured I'd ask about the static text etc. As always thanks for your help!
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #1789

That should be fine. I always use VBR with a high of 8,000,000, low of either 2,000,000 or 192,000 (depends on which template I use), and vary the average depending on length which I use at 6,000,000 or less.

Static text will be rendered at a really LOW bitrate because nothing is changing. Action scenes need a really HIGH bitrate.
Old December 30th, 2003, 09:59 AM   #1790
Wrangler

I was just worried that the text would use such a low bitrate it would affect the look of it, adding aliasing to the edges.
Old December 30th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #1791
Inner Circle

For Edward T.

Hi Edward,
I lost your email address so I figured this to be the best way to contact you.

As you know I use Vegas4 BUT I don't have DVDA and I am looking for a new DVD program. I figured that since I'm already using V4 I should at least think about using DVDA BUT I can't find it anywhere as a standalone. Any thoughts as to where I might be able to get DVDA or am I out of luck?
Thanks as always and Happy New Year,
Don B.
Old December 30th, 2003, 10:33 AM   #1792

Should not be a problem - especially with static text.
Old December 30th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #1793

DVDA is not available as a standalone. You have to "upgrade" from Vegas to Vegas+DVD. I'm not exactly sure of the price but believe it's around $300. Remember that the $300 also includes the AC-3 5.1 encoder which is priced at $280. So, you are effectively getting DVDA for $20.

Also, check your e-mail.
Old December 30th, 2003, 05:56 PM   #1794
Major Player

more on Architect

Hello,

Ok, getting back to doing a DVD, pretty simple one with a main menu which has 2 menu buttons..figured out how to have the button chnage colors when it is selected.. but here is a question.. When I get to the main menu, one of the buttons is always "selected" (the color has changed on it).. is there a way to not have one of the buttons selected, until I select it, and then see it change colors???

thanks,
mike m.
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #1795

No. The FIRST button will always be activated as soon as the menu appears. By first button, I mean the first one that was added (or the one that was made #1 by changing the order manually).
Old December 31st, 2003, 06:22 AM   #1796
Major Player

How do I split up the clip into frames(.png) for S-Spline Pro?

I want to use S-Spline Pro for enlargement, and to do that I need to be able to split up the 30 frames into 30 pics (png format)

Is there a script that will do this?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=18110
more info here
Old December 31st, 2003, 08:09 AM   #1797

Yes there is. Go to the same web page where updates are downloaded from and get the vegasscripts.zip file. Inside this zip file is a script named RenderImageSequence.js which will save a series of stills. Click on "Vegas Sample Scripts" at this link:

http://www.mediasoftware.sonypicture...p2.asp?DID=447
Old December 31st, 2003, 08:11 AM   #1798

As a second alternative, many people use the frameserver software at http://www.debugmode.com to frameserve to VirtualDub and use it to save the actual frames as pictures.
Old December 31st, 2003, 01:01 PM   #1799
Major Player

How to synch sound of a MiniDisc to an allready Edited video

So I went and shoot a Standup comedy show, and recorded sound from a mic.. and also recorded it directly from soundboard to a minidisc.
For a very stupid reason (the minidisc was lost) I decided to start editing only with the mic sound..
So I started editing and slicing, and cutting, and pasting and slicing more and made a 50 minutes show into a 10 minutes frenetic clip.

Now the minidisc has been found, and I want to put that sound in the clip.. Is there an easier way than trying to synch every slice by hand?..

I mean could I synch the whole file of minidisc captured sound with the the raw (unedited) clip, and then apply some sort of EDL to this?

The clip has way too many cuts to not try an alternative method for this.
Old December 31st, 2003, 02:01 PM   #1800

Sounds like a really difficult propsition. As you said, it would not be too difficult to sync the entire clip - however, the problem is syncing a bunch of little clips.

Here's a possibility: sync the MD with the original clip. Now render the MD audio out to a new file so it is EXACTLY the same length as the video AND starts at EXACTLY the same point in time.

In the edit-details screen, it will show you the offset for each clip. You would need to duplicate this with the new audio file. Can't guarantee anything but it "might" work. Alternately, you could try writing a script to adjust the offset of the new audio to match the offset of the associated video for each segment.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...