Vegas not performing well at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 16th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas not performing well

I just upgraded my comp to super fast six-core i7 3930K with 16GB RAM and GTX 470 RAID (approx 200MB/s R/W); it is auto tuned by Asus to 4100 MHz. It behaves very strange...when rendering in Vegas 10e cpu goes down to 126.4 BCLK x 14-20 which translates to max 2528MHz!!!! It is a FEW times slower than my lenovo W520 (with Quadro 1000M) using Vegas Movie Studio rendering same files. In terms of CUDA cores both systems are similar (maybe GTX470 has even more CUDA). I rendered MJPEG files to MainConcept MP4 and it was just a few frames per second. When switched to Somy MP4 pre-set it was faster but still much slower then on laptop. What is going on?
Any thoughts?
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Vegas not performing well

Turn off all overclocking, then see what happens. If that doesn't help, move your video files to a different hard drive, see if that helps. Turn off all GPU accleration.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Major Player

It is same with or without OC; hard drive is 200MB/s faster is only SSD; how to turn off GPU acceleration in V10e?
Old June 16th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Preferences...does movie studio have GPU acceleration? Not sure...it might not.
Old June 16th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Major Player

I am using Vegas 10e; (movie studio - which works faster - is on y laptop)
Old June 16th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Do not use asus autotune for OC...
Asus will change the BCLK. That will OC the whole system of yours like hard drives, RAM and PCI-E slots... Can be dangerous if you dont know what your doing...
Use the multipler with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge... Thats really easy to do. In BIOS, go from the original (3.2GHz) to lets say 3.8GHz, specially if you dont got an third party cooler for your CPU...

And what do you mean with this: "and GTX 470 RAID (approx 200MB/s R/W)"

Do you mean you have one GPU (GTX 470) and you harddrive is in raid doing 200mb/s ??

Check if all cores/threads is being used when rendering....

Be sure that Windows power options is at full (no saving options on CPU maximum).
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Do you mean you have one GPU (GTX 470) and you harddrive is in raid doing 200mb/s ?? _ yes

so shall I use manual OC and choose higher bclk keeping the multiplier to 33?

it is strange - when I start rendering in first few seconds system renders fast at full speed and then after few seconds thought that it slows down keeping bclk same but lowering multiplier. I thought it is related to cpu temp (70C) so system will slow down trying not to overheat cpu but when I increased cpu temp limit to 88c it does the same at 70C. (that heppens regardless if I choose cpu for render or cuda)
any suggestions
Old June 16th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Major Player

I did it manually; 100x40 - it was rendering holding it for a few minutes and after that it is fluctuating again (going down to 100x31).....
Old June 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Inner Circle

You need to get your system stable first, get Vegas running right. Overclocking is the last thing you should do with a new computer, not the first.

Go back to stock values, DO NOT OVERCLOCK AT ALL until first you know your computer is running right.

Everything should be perfect on your computer before overclocking.

Is your RAM speed set correctly for your RAM? You need to get the basics down before overclocking. If you do not know anything about overclocking you should NOT overclock until you go online and read up on it first.
Old June 16th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Jeff and Kim,
you are right I agree with OC and great point by Kim about frequency for PCI devices. I will go back to basics.
What I am trying to find out is why system is slowing down when rendering with Vegas 10e - it starts ok and then slows down reducing multiplier sometimes to 20...
I played with memory settings for dynamic ram preview but it is still the same; hard drive is fast raid...it happens regardless if I choose cpu or cuda for render. any ideas?
Old June 16th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Major Player

When cpu temp gets too high, it will lower clock speed by itself. You said you had 3930k, if you tries to overclock that cpu without a third party cooler, that will raise your temperatured to the roof! Stock cooler is already showing high temps without any overclocking. Think 3930k has a TJ max 105 celcius. But before that it will throttle itself down trying not to shutdown the computer..

OC with stock cooler from 4GHz is really a no no.. :\
Like Jeff said, render first without overclocking and try to solve your problems first

But it sounds you having to high temps on your cpu therefor it throttles down trying to avoid shutdown.

Download coretemp or realtemp or anything else..
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Major Player

Check out this post here

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

I don't know it help or not. But did you update the bios? Since I got my system working rock solid @4.6Ghz. SO I am gonna tell my first hand experience over view. My 3930K ran stock clock prime95 stable. I also did try auto tune and It got up to 4.3Ghz and prime95 stable but I don't like auto tune because it is down clocked my ram @1866mhz to like 13xxx something. So I did manual tune. I spent probably over 10hrs of tweaking it. I got a lot of crashed before I got mine running stable. So, you just need trying different thing to get it run stable.. Good luck.

You need to monitor the cpu.. Realtemp and CPU-Z to monitor the Core speed. When you load (prime95) and your cpu load 100% and if it gradually down clocking, then you need to shut down (kill prime95 and get back into the bios do more tweaking.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #13
Major Player

Bruce,
What are your bclk and multiplier, ram frequency settings?
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Major Player

My BCLK IS 100 mulitiply 46. I don't remember the other detail and I am not at the computer right now. I will post here for you tomorrow. I think your problem is mainly about your Vcore voltage is not good. Every chip run slightly different in voltage requirement.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Marius, search for OC settings for your board on the net. You are overclocking without proper cooling, without knowledge of what you must do.

Your RAM speed, voltages, cpu speed, etc, affects each other. You should stop trying to overclock until you get a new fan. Your processor runs hot to begin with.

1. Go back to stock settings.
2. Get a new fan, research it and pick a good one.
3. Research OC settings for your board in the overclocking forums.
If you are new to overclocking, you must research it and learn the basics.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...