Cineform Gopro codec for smooth playback? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 10th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Tourist

Cineform Gopro codec for smooth playback?

Hey guys,

I'm having a lot of difficulty editing gopro footage in Vegas 12. It plays really slow both in timeline and the trimmer. I don't have this issue as much with premiere which plays it a lot smoother.

I noticed that premiere uses the cineform codec for video previews, which made me think that vegas doesn't. However, i'm starting to believe that that codec is used for preview RENDERS and not playback, but that's beside the point.

The point is that vegas can't seem to playback my gopro clips in real time even at 1/4 preview mode. Other clips such as DSLR ones playback excellent.

What could be the cause?

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (i know.. old)
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3780 (i know.. even older)
500GB HDD

I know it's a rather old computer but that doesn't explain why premiere plays the files and vegas doesn't.

Any ideas? :)
Nick Tsutsunava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Cineform Gopro codec for smooth playback?

Are you running the native gopro files in vegas or are you converting to avi with cineform studio first?

If you are not converting first, you are asking for a whole lot of trouble as the Gopro files are very compressed.

Cineform studio is free download GoPro CineForm Studio
Cedric Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Tourist

I am indeed not converting them. I have too much material to convert (80GB) and the converted size is just way too huge, nor do I have time to do that. But all these excuses aside, it's weird to see that Vegas handles my DSLR files better than Premiere but premiere handles my gopro files better than Vegas.

That's what I'm curious about.
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

80GB isn't that much. Do it duing the night. The time spent converting will be made up with smoother and less frustrating editing..

Even if you go back to Prem, it is a good idea to convert if you start mixing in clips from other cameras.

As for why one prog works and not the other and vice versa, no idea. I coul'nd even get SONY AVCHD files to play nicly in SONY Vegas !
Cedric Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Tourist

Hmm I'll just do that then. Out of curiosity, is it advisable to store the converted videos on an external HDD? If so do I need a specific connection or will USB 2 suffice? What about storing them on a networked server? I have a very fast and powerful server here at home. Everything here is connected with a gbit lan connection through a pretty good cisco router.
Old March 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Major Player

USB 2.0 has a transfer speed around 20mb/sec, USB 3.0 around 60mb/sec...

Internal disks around 140mb/sec (7200rpm, 6GB/s)

server... depends on the situation...
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...