GPU Breakthrough - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 24th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: GPU Breakthrough

Well thats interesting.
I installed that new version a few days, maybe a week ago, (I have my Nvidia update settings for beta releases as well).
Im now wondering if my new found stability with Vegas 11 is due to that rather than my new OC'd GPU
Either way :))))
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
What are you trying to render Tom, 1080?
480p 720p 1080p

all h.264 with the main concept codec, just keep getting the system out of memory error ,cpu encoding still works fine
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Oh, so it's just the GPU thing not working. Still that stinks.
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #19
Trustee

Update, Just spent a few awful hours trying to edit Cineform files in Vegas 11. Must have crashed 50 times. Ended up replacing the files with the original AVCHD versions on the top track, but still got crashes. It was only when I muted the Cineform tracks below that the crashing stopped. It would crash always on a crossfade of the avchd files, Im guessing with the Cineform tracks below it was enough to crash as soon as they came into play at the crossfade ( make sense?)
Anyway, all avchd and mxf was fine, stable again.
Whats going on with Cineform and Vegas?
Is there anything I can do short of a clean install?
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Gerald, sounds pretty awful what you're going through. I'm editing with Cineform, having no real problems.

As much as I love the transcoding ability of Cineform, I'm looking forward to not using it after my current crop of weddings. I am tired of 700GB worth of files for a single project. This isn't Cineform's fault, of course, it is the nature of transcoded files, but still... I'm shooting in 24p, and since 24p is compatible with DVDs and Blurays, I'm hoping Vegas will resize 1080 to 480 without issues.

As for your problems, yes, I would probably do a clean install. I assume you turned off the GPU feature?

If you do a clean install, I'd suggest doing a long format of your drive, not the quick format that Win 7 performs. Found I had to do that to get rid of all the quirks I had with Windows 7. I use a raid controller, so I am fortunate I can do a full format using the bios of the card.

Otherwise, you much use a floppy with a formatting utility (I don't have a floppy drive any more) or take the drive out and put it into another computer to format it. You may already know all of this, but thought I'd throw it out there for you just to be sure.

Another benefit of a full format is I believe disc errors are cleared up with a full format, but I might be mistaken about that.
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #21
Trustee

after my first few crash sessions with cineform years ago i decided it just wasn't worth the effort - moved over to mxf and never looked back.

afaic unless you're trying to get a feature out for up-rezzing to silver screen the hype of using cineform is simply that, hype.

i've worked some sequences in mxf pretty hard and couldn't see visually, or on the scopes any problems at all... ymmv
Old November 26th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I've never had an issue with Cineform causing crashes, from day one. I've had other issues, but not acceptance into Vegas.

Hype? It's a conversion tool you either need or you do not. I've taken four different cameras, shot in four different modes and converted for editing and the results are amazing.

Taken 1080i, 1440, 480, and 720p all converted to the same dimensions, deinterlaced the interlaced footage, and after color correction it looked like it was all shot on the same camera. It converts relatively quickly, depending on what you're converting.

It removed pulldown from 4 hours of footage in minutes last week, so now I have four matching cameras, rather than have one line of 24p in a 60i wrapper. HD Link is an very useful tool, but only if you need it. Cineform folks are the first one to tell you everyone doesn't need it.

On the other hand it is a step I'd love to eliminate.
Old November 26th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #23
Trustee

sorry jeff, let me rephrase the 'hype' bit - cineform is a great codec, IF you need one. by 'hype' i wasn't referring to it not doing anything useful, but rather users insisting that they HAD to use it to maintain quality no matter what.

fortunately i don't have too many clients shooting esoteric codecs, mostly i've seen a move away from hdv to avchd, and my system will happily handle most avchd directly on the tl. when the material is going to need 'something' extra, then, and only then do i transcode to mxf.
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #24
Inner Circle

No prob Leslie. Yes, it depends on what your working with and what you need to do with it. I've not used Vegas for resizing much yet, except for going from 720 to 480 which works very well for DVDs.
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Regarding GPU thing, I started experiencing crashing of Windows yesterday while running Vegas, and I downloaded the beta drivers for my card, and problem seems to be solved.

Does anyone know if there are advantages to workstations cards over the desktop/gaming cards for Vegas?
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Earlier in this thread, I discussed the idea that my 850W power supply might not have been powerful enough. I went ahead and replaced it with a 1000watt OCZ Gold Certified PSU. The difference is astounding.

The most obvious differences that I can see off hand (just installed it minutes ago) is thumbnails of photos etc now appear instantly. My browser is lightning quick. It's as if I bought a new computer. Everything opens faster now, like it should.

I've been having so many weird side issues, the only thing I could think of that might help was the PSU, and it seems it was the right thing to do.

I almost regret not going with a 1250 watt unit, but hopefully this will be sufficient.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...