24p DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 28th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

24p DVD

I had a client tell me yesterday that her DVD was playing fast at times and was bothersome and they wanted to know why it was doing it. I have noticed that when I buring 23.976 to a SD DVD that it can at times speed up a little. My question... Is my workflow correct?

-Shooting: 23.976

-Rendering from Vegas: DVD Architect 24p NTSC Widescreen video stream
(23.976 fps inserting 3-2 pulldown, 720x480 Progressive, YUV, 6 Mbps
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.212)

-Rendering Audio separate (ac3)

-drop files into DVD Architect 5.0 and click "make DVD". I optimize the disc under the "video1" tab 1 change the progressive 29.97 to 23.976. Then I change the following box named "progressive" off of auto and to "yes". Then I make the DVD.

I'm stumped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dylan Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Actually, NTSC DVD-Video officially supports only one frame rate: 29.97 (59.94 interlaced). For the proper "progressive encoded" DVD-Video, leave the frame rate at 29.97 and "Progressive" set to "AUTO' for proper encoding. Setting the frame rate to 23.976 and the Progressive setting to "Yes" will result in a messed-up authored disc.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you so much!
Dylan Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sorry Randall but you're mistaken as 24p (23.976) is an acceptable DVD format.
Most (if not all) "Hollywood" DVDs are mastered in this format and the up-conversion to 29.97 is handled by your DVD player.

From the Vegas on-line help file:
24p video can be rendered approximately 2.5 times faster than 60i video.
24p video uses less space on a DVD, allowing you to add more video or use higher-quality video than you could with 60i video.

Even the Sony Knowledgebase says that the DVD Architect 24p NTSC Widescreen video stream template is used for creating a widescreen 24 fps, progressive-scan, DVDcompliant, video-only MPEG-2 file for use in DVD Architect.

I suspect that Dylan's error is due to his render settings.
When I choose the "DVD Architect 24p NTSC Widescreen video stream" template, I see the following in the description box.

Audio: None
Video: 23.976 fps, 720x480
Use this setting to create a 24p NTSC video-only MPEG-2 file compatible with DVD Architect.

There is no mention of YUV anywhere.

Render your program out from Vegas using this template in the MPEG-2 render option box.
Start DVDA and look at the "Allow pulldown removal when opening 24p DV" option in Prefs - General.

Select this check box if you want to remove pulldown when you open 24 fps progressive-scan DV video files.
When the check box is cleared, 24p video is read as 29.97 fps interlaced video (60i).

Don't adjust anything else.
Burn it to a DVD, watch it on a TV set and confirm that everything is as it should be.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Sorry Randall but you're mistaken as 24p (23.976) is an acceptable DVD format.
Most (if not all) "Hollywood" DVDs are mastered in this format and the up-conversion to 29.97 is handled by your DVD player.

From the Vegas on-line help file:
24p video can be rendered approximately 2.5 times faster than 60i video.
24p video uses less space on a DVD, allowing you to add more video or use higher-quality video than you could with 60i video.

Even the Sony Knowledgebase says that the DVD Architect 24p NTSC Widescreen video stream template is used for creating a widescreen 24 fps, progressive-scan, DVDcompliant, video-only MPEG-2 file for use in DVD Architect.

I suspect that Dylan's error is due to his render settings.
When I choose the "DVD Architect 24p NTSC Widescreen video stream" template, I see the following in the description box.

Audio: None
Video: 23.976 fps, 720x480
Use this setting to create a 24p NTSC video-only MPEG-2 file compatible with DVD Architect.

There is no mention of YUV anywhere.

Render your program out from Vegas using this template in the MPEG-2 render option box.
Start DVDA and look at the "Allow pulldown removal when opening 24p DV" option in Prefs - General.

Select this check box if you want to remove pulldown when you open 24 fps progressive-scan DV video files.
When the check box is cleared, 24p video is read as 29.97 fps interlaced video (60i).

Don't adjust anything else.
Burn it to a DVD, watch it on a TV set and confirm that everything is as it should be.
I forgot to mention this "allow pulldown removal".

The problem with the video is not the render settings in Vegas - but rather the authoring settings in DVDA. The way he had it set, DVDA would have authored the video as 23.976 progressive directly, with no pulldown whatsoever. Setting the frame rate to 23.976 and Progressive to "Yes" will automatically render the "Allow pulldown removal" as having no effect at all whatsoever, in this case. That results in a disk that will have playback compatibility issues, especially in older players that are interlaced-only.

By the way, Dylan is using a different version of Vegas than you are. Version 9.0 of Vegas has YUV mentioned in the description box.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Randall, thanks for the clarification and the reminder about a newer version.
I did my render settings checking on Pro 8 and forgot about double-checking it on Pro 9 and 10.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #7
Major Player

If your project was shot and edited in Vegas as HDV at 30p when you render to make a standard DVD in DVD architetct would you choose "Widescreen 24p NTSC" or just "Widecscreen NTSC"?
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

select "DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream" for video shot/edited at 30p...
the "24p" selection is for media shot and/or edited at 24p.
Rob Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...