Any Solid State Hard Drive Users Yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Any Solid State Hard Drive Users Yet?

Wondered if anybody has switched to solid state hard drives and what the consesnus was with regard to them offering any advantage in terms of performance for us Vegas users?

Reading that apps open WAY quicker i.e. Photoshop going from 25sec to 3-4sec when two of these are rigged up in RAID.

Not sure whether it's worth getting excited about these yet?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Wrangler

Here's a current thread on SSD:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/high-defi...tate-disk.html
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Alastair, Photoshop just opened for me in exactly 3 seconds. I use Velociraptors and have my i7 overclocked. The i7 seems to have as much impact as my HD.

Solid state HDs are not quite ready for prime time, IMO. Velociraptors are a MUCH better value, as they are now available for around $150 on sale.

For fun I just re-opened Photoshop and it actually opened before I could say "one thousand". In other words it opened in the blink of an eye. This is why I like velociraptors, but until the i7 I couldn't get full benefit from them!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Tourist

Jeff -

Curious to know if Photoshop is installed on the same drive as your operating system? And is it PS CS4?

Thanks
Joe Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes, same drive as OS and Photoshop is part of Adobe Master Collection, CS3. Before the i7 upgrade, even Adobe Acrobat professional took a few seconds to open, now it is instant.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 17th, 2009 at 04:14 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...