Can you do this in Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can you do this in Vegas?

I am getting ready to make a guitar instructional video (I will be the player and the filmer...). I have been looking around for ideas and I think this video has some elements I like:

YouTube - Joey Tafolla - Open House

Namely, I think the picture in picture effect is pretty cool at 1:32 and 1:56. Now that I know how to add static images, I would definitely like to know how to do this in Vegas.

Are they using just one camera and taking a zoom?

thanks,

brian
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Brian,

The effect of P in P is pretty easy to do in Vegas. I can't say fro sure but I don't think thye used one camera. I can't tell for sure but the angles don't look the same and if you blow up that much you usually get some pretty bad looking video. With Vegas you could zoom in and track as the video did.

I do something similar during my credit rolls on shows. I have inserts of highlights of the show as the credits roll by.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I figured it out using track motion but can't seem to make the insert angled. I know it must be possible since the track motion editor has so many geometric options.

thanks,

brian
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Brian, when you go into Track Motion, click the dropdown box where it says "Source Alpha" (in the upper left) and change it to "3D Source Alpha".
Now you can angle anything on that track as desired.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Be warned that turning on 3D Track Motion will DRAMATICALLY increase your render time!
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I really like the 2D glow though which you can't do in 3D. Oh well, I'll stick with 2D.

thanks,

brian
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Apply an effect (or two or three) to the clip at the event level and then use 3D Track Motion.
Vegas has more than one way to get around so-called limitations :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I wonder if you could drop a 'glow' graphic behind the PinP video clip? You could lock them together as parent/child so they would move in sync. You'd want to use a png with transparency so the edges work. That would allow you to display the PinP in 3d AND have a glow or shadow (Personally not a fan of track motion glow on a PinP frame - much prefer the shadow - but like I say, just a personal preference).
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

Make the 3d track a child to a 2d track and turn on glow on the 2d track.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Of course - much easier, thanks Edward. Never thought of that, which is why I have been using what I thought was a clever workaround all this time!

Having said that, I do like to customise my PinP shadows and glows rather than use the stock facilities all the time, as you will see from the two stills below (taken from the title segment of a project in progress - a lighthearted look at how my client makes such a mess of it's internal administration).
Attached Thumbnails
Can you do this in Vegas?-image2.jpg   Can you do this in Vegas?-image4.jpg  

Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Brian, good luck with your endeavor. As a new student to learning guitar I would be interested in your instructional.
Tim
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Tim,

If you are just learning I suggest finding a teacher locally to do beginner lessons. After beginner lessons I believe guitarists can get to the intermediate level on their own. Then to get advanced I think private lessons here and there and self study is the way to go.

Unfortunately I don't have any beginner material on my website but there are a lot of great sites out there with beginner lessons.

good luck,

brian

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...