Double Exposure Concept with Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 21st, 2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Double Exposure Concept with Video

Hi Guys,

I want to shot a video with a subject talking in the foreground with themselves performing in the background.

I plan to shot the background footage first, and then with out moving the camera shot the foreground footage.How can I accomplish this in Vegas?

Thanks.
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Albert, I do not have an answer for your question, but very much liked your website and am curious how you configured your .wmv files to play from thumbnails. I will send you an e-mail via your website.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Actually I don't know if there is a way to do what you want without using green screen, unless I'm misunderstanding what you are going for.
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have some examples here

http://matthew.chaboud.com/vegas5/

There's the "Two copies of one Faye" project, and a simpler "two of the same person in one scene" project.

You can do this all in Vegas with relative ease. Keep the camera static, and shut off automatic exposure and auto-focus. Those two will kill you in post.
Matthew Chaboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:00 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Take a look at the Two Cats From One tutorial and see if it gives you any ideas.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:05 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hey Mike and Matthew, great effect! Glad I dropped in on Al's thread! Sometimes you can't help but learn things around this place!
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM   #7

why can't you simply use overlays and transparency slider? the answer seems embarassingly simple
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Bill, what is a transparency slider?
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM   #9

Jeff...

In the track window, left side under the track title, is a slider called LEVEL.
Stack two different clips tracks, in two tracks ontop of one another and adjust the slider on the top track. Watch what happens. You'll need to adjust the exposure a bit with LEVELS or curves to recover the exposure after blending two clips.
There's also a ton of compositing FX you can apply. Click the little button with the alpha symbol on it, just to the right of the slider. You'll need to read the manual for help with this one. There's also a ton of tutorials on compositing and child/parent relationships on the internet.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:33 AM   #10
Inner Circle

That is simple. I have not used the transparency level setting much but have used it, mainly using the transparency setting on the individual clip on a few occasions rather than on the whole track.

I just didn't know it by name and figured you were talking about something I hadn't heard of!

Thanks!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...