External Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

External Monitors

I have a calibrated CRT that I use for photo editing and making print critical decisions based on color profiles and soft proofing.

My question: Is there any advantage to working with a calibrated monitor when doing video editing? I assume that video should be calibrated on a display that would more closely represent a TV set?

If I should be editing my video on an external monitor that represents TV output what is a good set up for this to use with Vegas 8.0 Pro?

Thanks!
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The easiest method would be to get a broadcast monitor (if you are making work for video formats like DVD, beta SP, digibeta, etc.).

For SD, a CRT broadcast monitor is the best. $600+.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Major Player

You can get broadcast monitors fairly cheap on Flebay, something acceptable probably between $75 & $150. We use an lcd tv to see what the projects will look like, as well as a preview device.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. I think I also need to hook this monitor to the computer somehow so I was hoping for some info on that also.

The other question I had related to calibrating my monitor. Is there any benifit to that and does the broadcast monitor need to be profiled?

-Jonathan
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

1- Consumer monitors are definitely sketchy. Many (all?) of them will do some creative image ""enhancements"" to the image like trying to make flesh tones correct, over sharpening, excessive brightness, incorrect white point, etc. etc.

2- Buying a used CRT can be sketchy (kind of like buying used shoes... or a used car). They get worse with age.

New-in-box and demo items may be fine.

If you can check out the monitor first-hand, that would also be good.

3- Video work targets similar color gamuts (EBU, SMPTE C, Rec. 709 primary chromaticities)... all three are similar enough in practice that most people gloss over it.

So, you don't really need to profile the monitor. Though it's good to get a monitor with SMPTE C phosphors.

Last edited by Glenn Chan; December 17th, 2007 at 10:33 PM.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Do I need a special computer card to output to a studio monitor? When you say CRT do you mean a standard computer CRT or a Studio Monitor CRT?

-Jonathan
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

My 2 cents worth here.
Get a decent production monitor like the 15" JVC TMH-150CGU ($465 at B&H or $422 from Provantage).
Study the Color Bars and How To Use 'em tutorial.
If you have a miniDV camcorder, you already have a monitor interface.
Hook your computer's firewire cable to the camcorder and the analog outs of the camcorder to the JVC.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...