Wedding ceremony shooting - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 23rd, 2014, 01:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Wedding ceremony shooting

Hi Robert,
No Magic Latnern. I am a bit nervous using it on my 60d. I know there are several benefits by installing it, could you explain some? What would the new times limit be? Thanks
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 03:21 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cook View Post
Hi Robert,
No Magic Latnern. I am a bit nervous using it on my 60d. I know there are several benefits by installing it, could you explain some? What would the new times limit be? Thanks
I've had it on my 5d Mark ii since I bought it. I love it. Really, at the least, it will auto restart the video every 12 minutes. You lose 1-3 frames. That's it. Each 12 minute section is still its own file.

You also get the audio meter on the back of the camera, which is awesome. I always feel better about seeing that the audio is working, and how loud, as I glance and check my camera, when on the move.

Those are the big two. I've occassionally used the built in intervalometer (and related items). And Magic Zoom, which will make it easier to check your focus while filming - it digitally zooms in on a space.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:10 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I was always amazed to see how many hidden features the magic lantern hack revealed, maybe one of the ML hackers works for Canon and by slowly revealing features each time more and more people keep buying the camera's. Just joking but it makes you wonder, why do they put all of this functionality in the camera anyway if it's not intended to be used?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:52 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I was always amazed to see how many hidden features the magic lantern hack revealed, maybe one of the ML hackers works for Canon and by slowly revealing features each time more and more people keep buying the camera's. Just joking but it makes you wonder, why do they put all of this functionality in the camera anyway if it's not intended to be used?
Some of the developers on the ML forum theorized that some elements were engineered, but never finished, so the components are still physically there to do it. Other times, Canon deliberately removes functions to help create distinction between cameras and keep clear price points.

One was, recently, they added an extra 1/2 step of dynamic range on the 5d Mark iii doing, well, nothing, really. Changed a few lines of code. I seem to recall, the note said it gave it more dynamic range at ISO800 than the C100.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 05:59 PM   #20
Major Player

I also worked with a second shooter before, and here is my experience with them, out of focus, overexpose, wobbling shots, short clips very short clips, they have Mark 2s and they're scared that their camera will over heat. so I just get rid of them, not worth the clips they give me to the amount of money I've given them.

Now I always shoot solo with 3 cameras, 1 camera on a light stand to the left side of the church, 1 in the back on the center aisle, and 1 roving to the right side of the church to get close shot of the priests, bride and groom and peoples reaction. During procession all cameras are pre focus for the marching in. All cameras are in a tripod just in case I need to leave and check the other camera, all cameras has 32 gig card and Magic Lanter auto restart enabled so I don't need to worry about camera turning off. I make rounds once in a while to make sure that all my shot are in focus and in frame.

Since I've been doing this work, I found out that I am more efficient with my work. The only thing I hire a second shooter is when the couple are getting ready at 2 different locations.

www.iClickFilms.com
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:07 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cook View Post
Hi Robert,
Magic Lantern for 60D is very stable, I used them for almost 3 years now with no problem.

www.iClickFilms.com
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:30 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quite correct in my experience Rickey

You get less than you ask for, and what bugs me is that for those out of focus, wobbly, over-exposed shots you have to pay them MONEY!! I do the same as you and try to avoid using a second shooter at all costs. If I am going to have to contend with wobbly and out of focus shots then at least let me be the person who did them not someone else who takes my profit.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #23
Major Player

I have 2 of the DSLRs and one POV camera that I have tested out in the Church and the lighting looks great on the camera. Should the POV cam be behind the alter to the side or would it be better being off to the bride side left on a wide shot? Thanks for the advices. Now that I am getting more gear I have more options and where else better than here to ask these questions. Thanks angain. The camera will be set to a 120 degree shot.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #24
Trustee

My super wide shot options (20mm or 35mm on DSLR)

balcony shot of the entire church, with people... also good for processional and recessional
90 degree sideways shot from side aisle, of the main aisle, again for processional and recessional
one good 5 second shot of the guests, from the front view
one good 5 second shot of the entire wedding party, when up front, shot from the aisle
of the groom, from close by, looking up at him, making him look larger than life (great during processional)
handheld shot of B&G recessional
Some church exteriors

that's about it. Even my 'wide' shot during most of the ceremony is usually, at most, a 5 person shot from the aisle (B&G, pastor, may be best man, maid of honor). Most of the emotional impact comes from the variety, I suppose, but during key moments, I like a medium or tight shot to really see faces/eyes of the VIPs.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 09:29 AM   #25
Major Player

Hi Robert,
Do you have a video that shows your setup? Perhaps a wedding trailer that shows a bit of the ceremony?
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques