bluray topic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: bluray topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I suspect Jim was referring to videographers in general...not you specifically George. There are just so many that are not ready to produce bluray, and instead of just stating that they instead knock it not or pronounce it as not feasible.
That's right; I have witnessed it with my own eyes as well as hearing about it from couples who talked with other videographers. My comment had nothing to do with you George except for your bringing the topic up.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #17
Inner Circle

That is funny, is a very sad sort of way! You certainly cannot be blamed for not trying, Adam.
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post

So I go there a couple of weeks ago and look at their beautiful Plasma HDTV with the BD player I bought for them... and the nice composite cable connecting the two.
I guess your next purchase for them needs to be a HDMI cable. ;-)[/QUOTE]
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #19
Inner Circle

The HDMI cable came out of my bag and onto their setup within seconds, trust me. It is now set up properly. I now check it every time I go in. I will check it again tonight. I also make sure it is the Blu Rays that go into the player, not the DVDs. I have a sign on the player that says "Use The Blu-Rays!"
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #20
Trustee

Everyone great comments, ye i suppose i will carry on doing my hard drive copies of bluray, i just hope in the future one of my clients rings me for a bluray copy of their day and i look forward to that day in waiting, By the way without reverting back to a SD camcorder, they are bloody cheap and tempting!!! no steve dont i say!!!! hehe...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Did you tell your clients that you'd be keeping a HDD copy in case they want a Blu-ray Disc in the future?

Is it in small print or something you have made important in your advertising, and during the consultation and delivery?

If they don't know, or forget, about you keeping a library of the HD footage, and your ability to provide the Wedding on Blu-ray a few years down the line, would they even consider or know that such was possible?

It might even be worth contacting your Clients, at least before they move house, to remind them that they can order a Blu-ray.

Just thinking laterally is all.

Certainly, after watching one of my rugby games on DVD, it is actually worth watching it again on Blu-ray,
Wayne Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

Yes, I WOULD prefer my clients to watch in HD!! On my website I offer BD too so there is no negative comments like "I'll do BluRay if you REALLY insist on it"
Sadly the market here for players is small so the price is still high!! The only people that have players it seems are Sony TV owners because Sony gave a free player away with the TV!! Gosh I wish we could get players for $79!!! More like closer to $300 here compared to DVD Players as low as $30!!!

Media here is also very costly due to the demand being low ...at present 10 x the cost of a blank DVD

I watch my weddings on my own media player and the only word is WOW!! I take the player to brides and they are super impressed...."It so clear!!!" Then they order DVD's !!!

I keep HD copies on the drives too so I can provide brides with HD anytime....I would guess that the only real option to keep things enconomically viable here would be a package of DVD's and a media player with the footage preloaded as an "all-in-one" SD/HD package.

Although clients do have an HD TV I still have them with CRT TV's ever though we are shutting down analogue TV transmissions. Our people must be slow on the uptake but it will pay to be ready when they eventually get there!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Our people must be slow on the uptake but it will pay to be ready when they eventually get there!!!
This is another reason I want to be involved in making Blu-rays -- when (and not if, but when) they become the dominant means of physical media distribution, I don't want to be scrambling to adapt. If I've been doing it all along, then it'll just be business as usual.

Maybe by then I'll be learning how to produce in UHD ;)
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #24
Trustee

Three brief points.

1 My local branch of Blockbuster, one of the largest film rental companies in the UK, tell me they now get as many copies of new releases in BD as in regular DVD. A company like that has no interest in serving a non-existent market nor of creating a new one. They simply service demand.

2 If Henry had waited for people to demand a cheap, mass-produced car we'd not be driving Ford cars. I'm not comparing BD to Ford, merely giving you a marketing example.

3 If you wait until all your clients have BD players a) someone else will be fulfilling their desires and b) as Corey and Chris write, you'll still be honing your BD authoring skills.

I accept everyone else's rationale and practice without negative comment but we shoot with EX1Rs and edit in true HD so the relatively low cost of extra equipping has led us to include a BD copy and "future-proof" our product.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 01:10 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Faulkner View Post
Did you tell your clients that you'd be keeping a HDD copy in case they want a Blu-ray Disc in the future?

Is it in small print or something you have made important in your advertising, and during the consultation and delivery?

If they don't know, or forget, about you keeping a library of the HD footage, and your ability to provide the Wedding on Blu-ray a few years down the line, would they even consider or know that such was possible?

It might even be worth contacting your Clients, at least before they move house, to remind them that they can order a Blu-ray.

Just thinking laterally is all.

Certainly, after watching one of my rugby games on DVD, it is actually worth watching it again on Blu-ray,
With the initial booking they are asked do they require bluray or standard definition dvd!! They are then told further down the line in the future if they require a bluray copy then please ring. They are told everything is filmed in HD... But the point i picked up on is i do not actually right that down on the booking form and invoice so good point sir...Anyways im ready when there is a big mad scramble....
Old May 21st, 2011, 01:12 AM   #26
Trustee

Good points Phillip...
Old May 21st, 2011, 04:39 AM   #27
Wrangler

Interesting discussion guys, I couldn't help noticing that in this very small sampling of posts, most of the people outside of the U.S. weren't seeing wide adoption of Blu-Ray, while people within the U.S. seemed to have more luck. Could that be an overall trend? Perhaps there's a slower adoption rate outside of the U.S. or maybe it's just that the U.S. is more accepting of Blu-Ray.

Also I have a feeling that if you're in a more tech savvy area, you're more likely to see higher adoption rates. Jim Snow for example is smack dab in the middle of Silicon Valley, so I'd expect his clientele to have a higher adoption rate. I wonder if there's a higher adoption rate of Blu-Ray in Singapore and Tokyo vs. Sydney and Beijing.

Just speculating on my part, so let me know if you think I'm off my rocker, but I grew up in Silicon Valley and ended up traveling a lot for my career and I've always found it very interesting to see how technologies are adopted/rejected in different parts of the world.
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM   #28
Trustee

I wonder if the slow uptake of Blu-Ray is part of a bigger trend of media consumption moving away from the traditional 'living room' or 'home theatre' setup and towards laptops, iPhones and Youtube?

Maybe in the not too distant future we'll be presenting the videos to the bride pre-loaded on an iPod touch? (complete with custom-designed skin and a free cable for them to connect to to their HDTV!) I think when the iPod & other similar devices are capable of supporting full HD playback over HDMI, this might become a possibility.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM   #29
Trustee

Im siding with john here i think especially in england, everytime i have gone to book someone and do viewing, they have laptop and ipad ready. then i look at the tv and dvd player! awful!!!! not high tech but other stuff is. Mmmm....Maybe just maybe.
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:45 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Definately was never the talking point of the day here on our West Coast...People went mad here for the IPad2 and IPhone 4 and scrambled to get them!!! One guy camped outside the shop for 3 days to be first in line.... Our "tech" stores unfortunately don't seem to push sales either and the only time BluRay is mentioned is when the TV manuafacturer is giving then away with a TV sale..... Then again our public certainly never went "Apple crazy" when 3D TV's were released!!!

I'm certainly not "anti-blueray" at all..it's just that there is no demand but when it does start (unless we start moving in another direction in HD media) at least my weddings are, like Steve's, shot in HD and edited in HD so making a BD copy for a bride is no issue at all.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques