I want to hear about your WEDDING packages - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 25th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #16
Regular Crew

For us, it's always 2 camera, 2 operators (my wife and I). One is on tripod, the other is a mix of glidecam, handheld and tripod. Audio for ceremony is wireless mic and onboard. If there is a DJ for the ceremony, I tap into his deck with my H2. If not, the H2 is situated where I can get the best audio.

For the reception, the H2 is jacked into the DJ's deck. I haven't had an issue yet, but if I did, I would just prop it next to a speaker for the entire night.

The way I look at it is most of the above doesn't cost much to do if you already have the equipment, and to have multiple audio backups or camera angles is a life saver in the edit process, so why not.

E
Eric Pasarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Steve,

"Personally I think the more you charge, the more you attract the bride that doesn't care about price but wants you regardless of your price. I am over £300 more than 2009, but have far more bookings already than this time last year."

I have to disagree to an extent. The price point may not be an issue if you're referred by an event designer. I see that often - unimpressive work at some really high-profile events. But for a bride shopping for herself the most important thing is the work. Saying that you're getting more work because your pricing is higher makes no sense at all. Obviously either your work has improved or you're casting a much larger net to get those bookings at a higher rate while at the same time turning more away that can't afford your new pricing.
No Joel you are right in what you say, I just could have worded it better.

Basically I was underselling myself, and it's something that a lot of wedding videographers do. So I put my prices up and guess what? More bookings than ever. I think my work is of a very good standard and I get a lot of recommendations.

I am not casting my net further, but I am selling myself very well, and together with some very nice footage, showcased by a big HD TV on a nice exhibition stand brings in the brides.

There's an awful lot to marketing and I am certainly getting better at it. Stil a long way to go though to get 60-80 weddings a year, which is the target.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks everyone.....

Alot of great information here!

I ve decided to up my prices a little bit and see what happens. I really think that my packages and set up and really great and you can see my work online and it shows it.
One thing I do have to deal with, is the fact I am in my early twenties. I know that potential clients sometimes think your not worth as much if you have not been around for 50 years or whatever. I ve blown a lot peoples minds with what I can do. I get raves almost every video!

This year has been slow till about this week when about 5 different potential weddings have come up....

Just curious, where do you all advertise?
I currently advertise on online websites like Wedding Wire, etc.
I also advertise on Craigslist - I actually have gotten a number of great jobs from there.
The best thing seems to be referrals....and thats why I started my Silas's Videography Facebook Fan Page!
Silas's Videography | Facebook

Thanks again for all the great information - I am becoming the best in my area! Wooo hoooo!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dontigney View Post
We only offer Unlimited time at two locations. Here's the selling point and the benefit to US.
#1) We get more footage so it's easier to find good shots.
#2) We can't go do another wedding on the same day so why nickel and dime over hours?
#3) Selling point: "You shouldn't worry about what "WE" are doing on your special day. The last thing you need to worry about is "How much longer before the video guy leaves? Should we go ahead and cut the cake so we don't miss it on the video?"
#4) We don't have to worry about the B/G pushing us to do this and do that so they can keep us under their budget.

In the past I had hourly rates, but I am MUCH happier with the Unlimited time format.
I agree with you here Mike, my day is shot anyways so rather than limit the time on site, I will limit the footage I shoot. Because really we spend more time in post anyways. So even if I stay 2 hours later for the garter/bouquet toss - I might only shoot a few minutes extra footage in the meantime. This also seems to relax the couple in that they don't have to watch the clock (for me anyways, they usually watch it for the photog though).
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
I agree with you here Mike, my day is shot anyways so rather than limit the time on site, I will limit the footage I shoot. Because really we spend more time in post anyways. So even if I stay 2 hours later for the garter/bouquet toss - I might only shoot a few minutes extra footage in the meantime. This also seems to relax the couple in that they don't have to watch the clock (for me anyways, they usually watch it for the photog though).
And what does unlimited mean?
Does that mean a 6 hour wedding pays the same as a 10 or 12 hour wedding?
How does this work and what is the average unlimited hourly time in shooting?
And your in the $1300 - $1800 range or what?

Thanks in advance!
Wedding & Corporate Video, Sacramento, Roseville, Folsom, Rocklin

Last edited by Silas Barker; January 27th, 2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: asking about pricing
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Unlimited means... Unlimited. If the wedding starts at 11:00 AM we get there at 10:00AM and leave when it's over.. If it's over at 7PM.. great... 11:45PM.. Okay... 2AM.. Yep.. we're there.

Yes... $1500 to $6000+
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #22
Major Player

So same price on unlimited no matter if its a 4 hour or 15 hour.....sounds good if it works I guess!

Do you have a website with package info? I would like to take a look at it.
Thanks!
Old January 29th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #23
Trustee

Silas,

Here's my Wedding site... I just got it up and running this week. I have a separate site for Weddings than I do for corporate work. As it was getting a little muddy.

Love Stories On Film

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques