? for those who know a little bit about photography. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 9th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Stephen,

I have to wonder how much a 25 watt light used outdoors from a distance would have helped out anyway?

Was this the B&G or the entire wedding party?

If it is the wedding party you would be standing back 10 or so feet?

Also, what type of color temp light were you using 3200 or 5600?

True, photography science would tell us your light would not impact the scene, but maybe the photographer did not know your light was only 25w?

Or maybe some of the shots were going to be higher ISO to match the lower evening ambient light along with a large aperature for shallow DOF.

This would bring out less power from the strobes as the camera is not needing as much light.

Or maybe the photog just did not want to take any chances or even mess with it.

Were these the only formal portaits or extra photos?

Just exploring the devils advocate to see if there was a real reason or just ignorance involved.

A quick test is to have your light on the subject and have the photog shoot a photo without the strobes firing and see if the subjects show up. (looking at the LCD) If for some reason they do, your light is having an impact.

Trust me the 25w light made a huge impact... even back 10ft it made a huge difference. It was during sunset. So i just needed enough light to expose the faces.
I wish I could post pics of with the light and without. Makes me frustrated just comparing the two.
In the defense of the photog. We were very limited on time (I didn't even have the chance to set up any creative shots, and really neither did she).
I'm sure there wasn't a huge issue but it was just easier and faster to tell me to turn it off.
Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Or maybe some of the shots were going to be higher ISO to match the lower evening ambient light along with a large aperature for shallow DOF.
Higher ISO would actually INCREASE the depth of field for any given shutter speed - more sensitivity means smaller aperture means greater depth of field.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I hope not to be snarky but my point was a higher ISO setting would require less power out of the strobes therefore increasing the impact of ambient light.

Higher ISO does not increase or decrease the DOF, it mearly makes the camera more sensitive to light.

The aperature setting is the only way to change DOF.

I did write higher ISO with a large aperature.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have more experience with the photography side, so I can't provide the perspective of a videograher, but there's SOME merit to the notion that a video light can impact the photography.

If the light isn't daylight balanced, it could cast a color on the pictures that will be unappealing. Most of the video lights I've researched are daylight balanced, and if that's the case with your light, it shouldn't effect the photographer in this regard.

If the flash is just being used for fill in a sunset scenario, perhaps the video light was powerful enough that it was effecting the "look" of the shot she was going for. Maybe you were casting light in an area where she wanted shadow, or you're throwing off her exposure because she's not using a powerful setting on the flash(es)... whatever.

Regardless of all the above, you're both there to get the job done, and if there's not enough time for both of you to do exactly what you want, then there needs to be a compromise. Maybe she doesn't get the EXACT shots she wanted and you don't get your ideal shots, but at least you both get the job done. Her job is no more important than yours, and vice versa. She has no right to tell you what you can and can't use to get your job done any more than you have a right to tell her she can't use a flash. Can't we all just get along? ;-)

Last edited by Steve Pond; September 12th, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
Steve Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
my point was a higher ISO setting would require less power out of the strobes therefore increasing the impact of ambient light.
Contextually MUCH more accurate, thanks for clarifying.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques