Cant decide which super 8 camera to buy - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 5th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glavan View Post
I wasn't aware you could undercrank a video camera to 18fps. Maybe I missed this feature on a camera or two??
You missed nothing; it can't be done.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I don't know if you guys are getting caught up in semantics or technical details, but the HVX200 has offered the ability to shoot frame rates under 24fps for quite some time now.

I don't know if it qualifies strictly as "undercranking" but it's an option, although I think the limiting factor is that playback of 18fps shot on one isn't at 18fps unless someone has figured out a way to do that.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
You need to do some research. Many cameras over & undercrank, including Sony (EX-1 & others).

Panasonics will do any even frame rate, 2, 4, 6, 8 FPS, etc. Of course there is no sound recorded until you hit 24 FPS.

There are a lot of people shooting 2 to 6 FPS for effect.
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
which cameras did you buy?
Canon 814 Auto Zoom Electronic
Canon 1014 Auto Zoom Electronic
Canon 814 XLS
Canon 1014 XLS

jones
Chris P. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P. Jones View Post
Canon 814 Auto Zoom Electronic
Canon 1014 Auto Zoom Electronic
Canon 814 XLS
Canon 1014 XLS

jones
So any one of these cameras will do the job
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Jeff, I'm well aware that camcorders have been able to shoot at very slow shutter speeds and my TRV900 from 11 years ago did just that. I was more concerned with the synchronisation problems that occur when three-bladed shutters in Super / Standard8 projectors meet camcorders. I must admit I didn't know that you could select 16.67 fps on a modern camcorder - mine have never offered this option.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #37
Major Player

So since we're talking about a viable film solution anyway, I was curious what advantages and disadvantages I might face using 16mm instead of super 8 (apart from the film being more expensive)?
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Generally speaking, 16mm cameras will also be more expensive. Of course, they will also be of a higher build quality, and you can buy brand new ones today! Still, you can pick up used Bolex for good prices on Ebay if you're carefull.

You get a larger format frame, more film choices, longer 'run time', and interchangeable lenses (except with the Canon Scoopic - a great little 16mm camera that was becoming popular for newsgathering about the time ENG kicked in.) Most of the older ones will NOT have any sort of light meter, so you'll have to own and know how to use one. Wider choice of frame rates, even a variable shutter on some of them. They can be a little noisier than Super 8 Cameras, so that might be an issue if you are shooting right next to a DV camcorder for coverage purposes.

Deciding to go 16 or S16 opens up a LOT more options... and your wallet. Basically, people decide to go with Super 8 because its closer to the form factor of a small video camera - point and shoot, a meter built in, one zoom lens, easy to load in broad daylight - just like the DV cameras they are familiar with. Shooting 16 is going to require more maintenance, more attention to loading the film, cleaning/checking the gate, etc. etc.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #39
Major Player

Re: Cant decide which super 8 camera to buy

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Was thinking of picking up a cheap super 8mm camera off of ebay to play around with film. Was looking for some advice on the following:
-looks like film runs about $10 and $10 to process. I guess only specialty shops will process the film (costco doesn't do anything super 8mm processing)?
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques