Greetings from the Atlanta Botanical Gardens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 1st, 2022, 01:19 PM   #1
Trustee

Greetings from the Atlanta Botanical Gardens

This was a fun video for me. It is the result of several trips to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. I am fortunate that they are only five minutes from my house, so I go there several times a month. However, these last two months seems like all it did was rain. That combined with high temperatures made it tough to get out. Enjoy the video.

Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2022, 03:57 PM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Greetings from the Atlanta Botanical Gardens

That's really neat. The only thing I was yearning for was a close-up of the glass sculpture at 0:48.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2022, 04:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Great tour of the gardens Bob, your atmospheric sound effects fading in and out tie it all together nicely.

Cheers.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 04:43 AM   #4
Major Player

That was beautiful, Bob. of course, I would have liked to see more of the conservatory and the rainforest stuff because it reminded me of here!

I was surprised at how seemingly there were so few people there -- especially walking on the paths. Did you deliberately try to avoid people in many of your shots? (I do that all the time depending on the subject.)
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2022, 05:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Bob,
This was a really nice film! You managed to show us the garden in a way that made me want to visit.

In the first part of the film, I wish you had used a few more close up shots of the various flowers and plants, like you did in the last part about the rainforest.
As an example, you filmed a statue, saying it had thousands of flowers. Here I wish you would have zoomed in to show a few of them in more details.

Maybe the Botanical garden would be interested in licensing your film as a commercial?
Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2022, 07:20 AM   #6
Vortex Media

Bob, I now feel like I have visited the gardens myself. It is nice to have some narration and nat sound to tell the story ather than just music and a video montage.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 09:13 AM   #7
Major Player

Well done Bob!

I like the way you varied perspective by varying the height of the camera lens on the canopy walk, starting at eye level then waist high during the walk. Plus, the smoothness of the slight bounce while you were walking with the camera instead of "shaky cam" like most people walking with a camera preserved the sensation of walking, taking individual steps instead of a "floating" camera sensation. Was it intentional, or do you just have a very steady hand when working hand held? Was it the "steady cam walk with a monopod heavier than the camera" technique some old school videographers used to employ? At any rate, talking about walking while taking the steps works.

Like others mentioned, I'd like to see more. Close up of the flowers of the statue would be nice, but, I realize you were getting close to the 4 minute limit and had to be selective about what to include and what to leave out.

Again, the whole thing is very well done and would make a good promotional video for the gardens.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 10:47 AM   #8
Trustee

Hi Bob.
What a wonderful insight into the park you give us.
Your VO is, as usual, calm and pleasant to listen to, which makes the whole film more watchable.
It could help with some close-ups, but then again what is not shown piques our curiosity,
and makes us want to travel there to see for ourselves.
The harmony between soundtrack and VO is quite good and the editing is also nice.
There is a limit to what you can put into a 4-minute video,
but you have included most of it (I think, I haven't been there).
Thank you for sharing your video and story with us.
Old August 3rd, 2022, 05:05 AM   #9
Trustee

Thank you all for the comments. The Gardens is one of my favorite places to go, and fortunately it is within walking distance from my house. Allan, the close up of the glass sculpture was one of the scenes I had to cut, sometimes it hurts to cut shots in order to stay under 4 minutes. Phil, same as the tropical conservatory, I had to cut a lot. I could do an hour long video just on the beautiful plants and flowers that are there year-round. The reason there were so few people there was because I was there when they opened at 9:00 in the morning, I wanted to beat the crowds and the heat. Rodger, when walking I held the Camcorder by its handle and then used the stabilizer settings in DaVinci to smooth it out. Doug, if your ever up this way let me know and I'll take you and you wife to the Gardens. I loved working on this one. Again, thank you all for your comments. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge