UWOL 63 - Tales of wonder & woe - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 1st, 2022, 08:18 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: UWOL 63 - Tales of wonder & woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond Saetre View Post

About 90% is filmed with my phone, something I haven't done for a serious video before. Main goal was to show (potential new players) that you don't need a "fancy" expensive camera to participate in the challenge.
In the past I have thought about doing something similar by making a film only with my GoPro. The quality of phones are amazing, but I worried about filling up the storage and then getting the footage into a computer to edit always made me nervous. Now that I have a Mac Mini, it's actually extremely easy and I can always delete the files from my phone once transferred. I even went out and bought a DJI OM 5 gimbal for my phone with the intention of doing YouTube shorts, but I can see that there's potential for a lot more -- and i don't always have to carry around a camera when traveling!

(Also, watching your latest film this morning was really inspiration about using my iPhone more.)
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2022, 08:25 AM   #32
Major Player

Geir and Bob --

I've been using DaVinco Resolve for several years now after editing in Premiere Pro for a decade or more. It took a little bit to get over the fear of something that looked so different, but it's actually pretty straightforward when it comes to basic editing -- and the color grading abilities are simply amazing!

I don't think it has ever crashed on me and I can grade 4K with a lot of color adjustments and other effects despite my base model Mac Mini M1 with the minimum specs.

I use it for everything now from my BMPCC 4k -- editing in BRAW is a lot of fun -- to my 7-year-old Sony AX100 to my GoPro for vertical YouTube shorts. It does it all!
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2022, 10:13 AM   #33
Major Player

Hey Guys,

I too switched to Resolve a few years back from Avid Media Composer, though I'm still on version 16. It runs smoothly for me on my older computer handling footage from my older cameras and has all the features I'll probably use.

One thing that might be fun that I'm going to try in the next few days is slow motion on some hummingbirds I've found in the nature preserve near my home. I successfully installed a firmware update on my camera and can now film in 120 fps, so first try will be for quarter speed on 30 fps timeline.
Old August 1st, 2022, 02:01 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn View Post
One thing that might be fun that I'm going to try in the next few days is slow motion on some hummingbirds I've found in the nature preserve near my home. I successfully installed a firmware update on my camera and can now film in 120 fps, so first try will be for quarter speed on 30 fps timeline.
This sounds great. Good luck!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2022, 07:48 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn View Post
I, too, would be really interested to see what you are able to film of the hummingbirds. We have quite a few around here, but filming this is incredibly difficult. (There was one in one of the opening scenes of my UWOL film, but you'd have to be looking to see it.)
Phil Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge