Libec LS-38? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 6th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #46
Major Player

Has anyone tried this tripod with the XL-H1 (front-heavy). I am looking for a new tripod and this one is definately an option. Libec says it is for camcorders in the 4 - 8 kg category. The Canon XL-H1 weighs around 4 kg. So if I add microphones, a light and an anton bauer (for example) I would say I will end up somehwere around 6 or 7 which should work. The Libec LS-60 is rated 8 - 13. This means that the XL-H1 might be a little bit too light. Or it could mean that I do not have to adjust the plate forward/backward... I am not sure.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #47
Contributor

I've heard the XL will work fine with that tripod, but it's better if you have the Canon quick release plate so you can get the camera adjusted fore and aft for good balance.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #48
Major Player

Thanks Bill. I already own a Canon quick-release plate so that is a plus. I am just not sure whether the LS-38 or the LS-55 is the right tripod for me. Money is not the problem but it makes no sense to pay more if there is no real advantage. The LS-55 has the same qualities as the LS-38 (judging the specifications) and adds a two-step drag mode and 2 KG more maximum weight. But the range is 4 - 10 so I suppose 7 is the sweet spot where it is 6 for the LS-38. So how useful is the two-step drag mode? I think that is the only major difference.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #49
Inner Circle

For what it's worth, I've been following this thread since I picked up a Libec T57 tripod with an H35 head on it through ebay. I wanted something a little lighter than my Bogen 316 (Which is a great, but HEAVY head on the 3193 sticks)

I got a deal on the Libec (300) so I can say I'm overall pleased. It IS smaller/lighter than the Bogen. VERY fluid, no 'bounceback'. I do miss the 'adjustability' of a friction nob. The releases are either on, or off... no 'adjusting' on this head. So the 55 with variability would be nice. And definitely having the Canon quick release plate would come in handy. I don't need it on the Bogen, but on the libec, there is very little adjustment in the plate. I CAN balance the camera with just the 3x and Fu-2000 on it. But when I add the FU 1000 and the 16x manual (My usual setup) I definitely need to add the BP 910 with dual battery packs. It balances fine like this however, so it's not a big issue.

Not a bad combo, but I think they may have discontinued the H35 head?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Anyone else heard/have info about Libec moving their distribution site to CA and availability suffering? Wanting to get an LS-38M (2A), but sounds like it may be some time before they are available again. Bummer.
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #51
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearl Golden
Anyone else heard/have info about Libec moving their distribution site to CA and availability suffering? Wanting to get an LS-38M (2A), but sounds like it may be some time before they are available again. Bummer.
I tried ordering an LS-22 from Zotz last week and was told something along these lines. They said it'd probably be about 3 weeks until they'd be able to make the order.
Mike Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #52
New Boot

BTW, during the time it takes Libec to get their distribution issues straightened out, I guess I get to re-visit the internal debate I had re: which Libec tripod I should get for my A1, the LS-22 or the LS-38.
Mike Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Haven't heard the time estimate before, but I'm gonna wait them out. I've seen both tripods (22 & 38) and really want to go for the sturdier 38. I've bought the "next best" before when what I really wanted wasn't available and my experience is usually not positive when I do that. I still have a $599.00 quote from TapeWorks Texas.

Let us know if you find one sooner.
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #54
Major Player

After waiting an extra week or two due to the distributor moving, I received my Libec LS-38m (mid level spreader). I dont have a lot of experience to post a really knowledgable review, but since I started this thread I thought I'd provide some comments.

Out of the box I was a little concerned. A LOT of plastic parts, especially on the legs (locks, hinges, etc). The 2 page manual is the worst translated thing I have ever seen. I though the Japanese were past this, but it was amazingly bad. Useless for putting the parts together. I eventually figured everything out.

The big pads that go over the spikes (which also have rubber boots) could be real handy in the studio. But they attach with rubber handles of the type I have found to wear out and break with extended use. There is no lock once everything is folded up but I have found no tendency for the tripod to unfold, even when carried by one leg. It seems reasonably light for its bulk.

The mid-level spreader is a bit strange. I am not too confident of the strength of its attachement points to the legs. It has a knob that you have to turn to open it up. It can lock at 45 of 90 degrees. It can also extend its length a bit, but not much. Perhaps all this adjustability will come in handy, but it seems more than is really necessary to fiddle with at the moment.

The tripod is quite sturdy on initial use without being particuarly heavy. But definitely not a run-n-gun type set up in terms of speed. The leg locks turn all the way to lock. I hope they dont loosen up with use.

For an extreme test, I took it outside and spent 30 minutes trying to keep up with my kids shooting baskets, at close range, in 24p. I was not too worried about the one speed on pan and tilt because I just wanted something that was smooth. I'd rather spend my time trying to maintain focus on my HDV cam! The head did not disappoint. I thought it was extremely steady and smooth while firehosing my A1 all over pan and tilt. The resistance was just right to keep things as smooth as could be expected under these conditions. I am very happy with this result.

The sliding plate arrangement is OK. I like that it is plenty big but the camera can still slip around while mounted, and I dont like that the camera mount screw cannot be hand tightened, you need a coin or screw driver.

If you pan all the way up or down and let go, the fixed tension will smoothly return the A1 toward level. Not a problem for me, I am just glad it doesn't try to dump the camera when all the way down. The tension is actually a nice feedback feature to remind me that I am reaching the end of the tilt range. Holding it against the tension at full tilt is easy enough. You can also lock it down there. Centering the weight is easy with the sliding plate, even on this rather front-heavy camera.

In all I think this tripod will suit my rather simple and unhuried needs for something steady and smooth for my A1. I have some concerns about durability of the leg parts.

Compared to the <$1200 Schactlers, Vintens, Cartonis, etc that I have played with at shows, I would say the Libec38 is considerably simpler, steadier, and smoother but a bit plasticy, bulky, and akward yet not heavier.

I would not reccomend it for rough or ENG use but it should be fine for studio and indie filmmaking.

I bought it from Tapeworks Texas and they treated me decently, given the delay from the shipper.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #55
Tourist

Just received my LS-38. This is my first decent tripod having only used cheap Velbons before.

First impression is that it's very sturdy and smooth although I was a bit disappointed by the plastic bits on the legs. I'm using a Sony HDR-FX1 on top and it seems fine even though the camera's only about half the minimum weight recommended for the tripod. There is a bit of bounce back when panning and then stopping which I expect is due to the light weight of the camera. I might experiment with adding a steel plate to load the tripod up a bit as suggested in an earlier post.

I managed to buy the LS-38 at a very good price in the UK through GlobalMediaPro. It means it's a grey import but they still give it a 1 year guarantee. As I only paid £340 including VAT and import taxes I thought it very good value when most suppliers are quoting £399 exc Vat.
Graham Dore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #56
Contributor

Are you referring to those little plasting caps on the feet? They're supposed to be taken off, and you put on the nonskid pads or the ground spreader if you went that route. Mine came with a midlevel spreader and the nonskid feet.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #57
Tourist

I got the floor spreader with mine and don't recall seeing any non-skip feet.

In referring to the plasticky bits I meant the locking knobs on the leg extensions. They're ok and are probably sturdy enough but the finish could be a bit better.

Last edited by Graham Dore; March 19th, 2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Wrong title
Graham Dore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #58
Regular Crew

I'm bumping this thread because I just got mine and it rocks!
Everything in that review was spot on, no bounce back! I was worried about dishing out 600 bones for a tripod system that will give me bounce back, Something many systems in this price range seem to suffer from. Well not this tripod on pans. It does happen on the extreme tilts up and down, just as the review said, but I rarely ever do that movement. Over all It's a fine tripod for the money, good build quality, feels solid and sturdy, and just enough features to make it an intuitive and easy to operate device. My only negative is its color. I wish it were black instead, but that by on means is a deal breaker.
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilber View Post
My only negative is its color. I wish it were black instead.
that is what is keeping me from making the purchase...black is definitely more professional, but when you are on a budget, you need performance!
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #60
Major Player

What difference does the color make if it's functional and works for your needs?
I use one with my beta and xl-2 package. I could care less what color it is.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads