Adapter for Manfrotto to Miller Solo? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 3rd, 2024, 11:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Adapter for Manfrotto to Miller Solo?

The geared teeth on the Manfrotto MVR901EPLA lanc controllor don't mesh with the teeth on my Miller Solo 10 head. Any way to adapt the MVR to the Solo 10?

Thanks,

Len
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2024, 02:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Adapter for Manfrotto to Miller Solo?

Hi, Len..............

From the looks of it, the rosette on that arm is only compatible with Manfrotto units. I can't make out from any of the photos whether the arm rosette can be removed and perhaps replaced with a Miller rosette (if one is to be had).

The only alternative would seem to be the Manfrotto MRV901APCL adapter which will allow the Lanc arm to be attached to the Miller arm, IF the Miller tube diameter is between 19mm - 25mm.

Not cheap though.

https://www.manfrotto.com/nz-en/clam...anfrotto_nz_en

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; August 3rd, 2024 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Addition
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2024, 10:16 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
The geared teeth on the Manfrotto MVR901EPLA lanc controllor don't mesh with the teeth on my Miller Solo 10 head. Any way to adapt the MVR to the Solo 10?

Thanks,

Len
Yes, I've run into this problem before and had to come up with a quick solution to save the day for one camera. On that occasion an idea popped into my head, having used this material before, and it worked. And worked for ages I heard later.

I purchased some DynaGrip Dynasteel Epoxy Putty from our local DIY store. Sliced off a slab of the epoxy, moulded into a disc of similar size as the spline rosette on the tripod head, punched a hole through it then clamped it in between the tripod head rosette and the tripod handle rosette and screwed up the clamp.

In compressing the epoxy between the head and the pan bar rosettes, the epoxy putty was pressure moulded with the two rosette patterns. I left it for about an hour. Sure enough, the epoxy had set solid. Slackening off the pan bar locking screw and giving the pan bar a jiggle freed up the pan bar assembly for removal. What we now had was a metal like epoxy disc about 7 mm in thickness which had two different rosette patterns moulded into the opposing faces of this epoxy disc. This epoxy ends up hard enough to file, drill, sand and grind.

There are numerous different metal epoxy material around. Some, like the Dynasteel I used, reinforced with steel. Check out your local DIY for something similar.

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
Adapter for Manfrotto to Miller Solo?-dynasteel.jpg  
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2024, 03:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Hi, Len..............

From the looks of it, the rosette on that arm is only compatible with Manfrotto units. I can't make out from any of the photos whether the arm rosette can be removed and perhaps replaced with a Miller rosette (if one is to be had).

The only alternative would seem to be the Manfrotto MRV901APCL adapter which will allow the Lanc arm to be attached to the Miller arm, IF the Miller tube diameter is between 19mm - 25mm.

Not cheap though.

https://www.manfrotto.com/nz-en/clam...anfrotto_nz_en

CS
Thanks. It's odd, because I have an older Manfrotto lanc control arm that fits the Miller perfectly. Not made anymore. I wonder why they changed the rosette.
Old August 6th, 2024, 03:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Yes, I've run into this problem before and had to come up with a quick solution to save the day for one camera. On that occasion an idea popped into my head, having used this material before, and it worked. And worked for ages I heard later.

I purchased some DynaGrip Dynasteel Epoxy Putty from our local DIY store. Sliced off a slab of the epoxy, moulded into a disc of similar size as the spline rosette on the tripod head, punched a hole through it then clamped it in between the tripod head rosette and the tripod handle rosette and screwed up the clamp.

In compressing the epoxy between the head and the pan bar rosettes, the epoxy putty was pressure moulded with the two rosette patterns. I left it for about an hour. Sure enough, the epoxy had set solid. Slackening off the pan bar locking screw and giving the pan bar a jiggle freed up the pan bar assembly for removal. What we now had was a metal like epoxy disc about 7 mm in thickness which had two different rosette patterns moulded into the opposing faces of this epoxy disc. This epoxy ends up hard enough to file, drill, sand and grind.

There are numerous different metal epoxy material around. Some, like the Dynasteel I used, reinforced with steel. Check out your local DIY for something similar.

Chris Young
Ingenious! Clever! Resourceful! I am going to do that. Thank you!
Old August 6th, 2024, 03:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Looks like Dynasteel is not available in the US. I will try JB Weld Steel Stik. One other modification required: the Miller head uses a 1/4-20 threaded attachment screw, which the older Manfrotto had, but the new Manfrotto uses a different thread. Easy enough to make a new one out of a 1/4-20 hex head bolt.
Thanks again!
Old August 7th, 2024, 08:47 AM   #7
Trustee

It's funny, sometimes being pushed into a corner forces you to come up with a solution. I hear what you say about the Dynasteel but as you mentioned there will be a suitable alternative available. Yes, the bolt can be an issue.

In the past for some other equipment, nothing to do with video gear, I replaced the standard bolts with Allan head bolts, into which I glued, using Araldite some short Allen keys. I then used a tight fit Neoprene fuel line hose trimmed to the length of the Allen key shafts pushed onto the Allan keys as a sort of thicker, easier to grip lever. Works fine. I guess you could do something like that with the pan bar bolt?

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2024, 01:38 AM   #8
Equal Opportunity Offender

Given the innovative use of the epoxy putty / Dynasteel, you could also custom incorporate part of your hand grip into it and call it ...

(drum roll)

Han(d) Solo

(rimshot)

Thank you, thank you. I've been commenting here since 2009. You're welcome! 😋

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2024, 01:38 AM   #9
Trustee

🤣😂🤣😂👍

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads