Lubrication for Sony VCT-14U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 25th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #1
New Boot

Lubrication for Sony VCT-14U

I have a Sony VCT-14U tripod plate (the cheaper one Sony makes) and it is becoming very difficult for me to mount my camera into the tripod plate. I have to hold the tripod with my left hand, brace the back of the camera with my right hand and shove as hard as possible. This is the only way to get the locking mechanism to engage and lock the camera onto the tripod. Any ideas on what lubrication to use to lube the lock mechanism and how to go about lubricating the plate? Thanks in advance.
Aaron Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Lubrication for Sony VCT-14U

Hmmm, cheaper than what. The Sony and JVC version are the same plate. I've had and still have one that has been used for a loooong time with both Sony and JVC which is what currently rests on it and while once in a while I have to give the camera a good push (means I missed the mark and it's not 100% lined up) and I NEVER lube it.
Instead of thinking about using lube on the QR adjust the rear screw a bit looser (higher) which will give the rear U shaped plate on the camera a chance to grab the lock down. Not to loose as then the camera will wobble on the plate but maybe a half turn to start.
I really wouldn't use a lubricant on the plate for the purpose of making it easier to load the camera on it but that's just me.
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Trustee

If you look underneath the plate, there are 6 allen screws towards the front. Take these off and look inside. Chances are there is a ton of crud and/or rust. If not, check to see that the lever arm is not bent and binding somewhere. Clean out the inside, spray with WD 40 and you'll be good to go!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks, Warren. I took the plate apart and shot the linkage up with WD-40. Seems to have worked.
Aaron Weaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads