Hercules head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Hercules head

Ok, ive finally taken the plunge on a camera (Sony FS100). Going to be getting a good tripod head and sticks for it (eventually). I'm also going to be getting a Kessler Crane, as part of my equipment. Since I don't yet have the money for the tripod and head yet, Ive decided to first get a k-pod system, cause I'm eventually getting a 12 foot crane, and I want the dolly capabilities.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Hercules head for just their camera? I'm eventually getting a Vinten head, and sticks. But until I can, I was thinking of just using the Hercules. Other wise my other idea was getting the k-pod system (without head) and then get the Vinten head. Then get lighter legs for it down the road. I'm saving and buying as I go (so I'll own my gear, ad not owe credit companies), and trying to figure out the best route as what to buy next, and maximize the use.

Any thoughts?

Thanks as always,
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Hercules head

Quote:
.......Any thoughts?

Any links?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Here's Link to the Kessler website page for their Hercules 2.0 head. I'll be getting this anyways, cause its meant to go with their crane setups. I was just curious if anyone has used this as a regular camera head and how it performed?

Hercules 2.0 Head
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi. I if it is still useful, I can tell you that the Hercules head is really, really good. I did what you were planning when you wrote this. After a year (maybe 70 days of shooting) before the crane arrived, we use the K-pod and the Hercules in many and diverse situations, mainly docs (but on controlled enviro) and some commercials and wonderful results both the tripod and the dolly. Now we have the crane and by using the 75mm adapter we are using a 503 hdv head on the tip and manfrotto legs when we have to run.
Jaime Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #5
New Boot

I haven't used the Hercules head just for shooting with a camera (instead of using it with a slider or crane), but I think it would be very capable in that capacity. I can tell you that it's really heavy duty, I like it a lot, and it's invaluable when you use it with a slider, job, or crane attached. I use the Kessler Philip Bloom Pocket Dolly with a Canon T3i on a RedRock EyeSpy shoulder mount rig. I was using a Manfrotto HD504 head and then attaching the pocket dolly, Redrock rig, and cam to the tripod head. It worked ok and i like the 504HD head, but when I would slide the camera and redrock rig to the end of the dolly the tripod head tilt would slip, even when the tilt was locked as tight as I could get it. The Hercules 2.0 head is much more heavy duty (and much more heavy), but one thing I really love about it is that you can use the included metal bolt to physically bolt the head in an upright position. Once you lock it down, it does not move - it's rock solid. That feature is so helpful when using a slider or crane. I'm very satisfied with the head.

The one drawback (besides the fact that the Hercules head is fairly heavy) is that sometimes I like to pull the slider off of the tripod head to put it on the ground for low angle shots. When I had the slider on a tripod plate with the 504HD it was really easy to pull it off, get the shot I needed, and then put it back on the tripod head. However, with the Hercules head, the slider actually screws directly into the head with 4 screws. This is great in that it is solid and has no give (whereas a tripod plate can get loose over a day of shooting). However, you can't just pull the slider off at a drop of a hat - you have to unscrew the 4 bolts. Of course, this is not a problem when you are shooting a narrative or in a controlled environment, but if you're shooting a live event it does limit the ability to pull the slider off.
Matt Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the reply guys. Things changed a bit for me. I ended up getting the Vinten Vision Blue kit, and love it. I'm coming into some money, that will be used for gear. With in the next couple weeks, I'll be ordering the K-Pod system, with the flex dolly track. It will be down the road, before I order my crane. I may wait to order the Hecules head with the crane, and use my VB head, with the dolly setup. I'm looking forward to all these cool toys. Thanks again for the replys.

Jeff
Old January 19th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #7
New Boot

Good!!! If you are going for the k-pod, let me recommend you the Low-Boy Mount and Ball Relocator for low angles dolly shots y dolly movements. I am sure your going to love it and need it. Well, IMHO.
Jaime Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The low-boy looks like a nice solution. I can go low with the pocket jib, but it certainly has more play than the low-boy would. (Costs more too.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads