Tripod suggestion for the JVC GY-HM100 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM   #31
Regular Crew

I have a Bogen 516 head with heavy Gitzo sticks (Studex series 3, I believe) with center column, and that combination is KILLER!

I also own a Sachtler DV6 which is very good. It doesn't have the same max weight load as the above combination (but it is close), but it's a true video system that is super fast to set up and level (one hand!). The Sachtler can be used with a SOOM (imagine -- 3 tripods in one!) and I might add the SOOM parts soon because they're well worth it.

I highly recommend both systems for your camcorder. I use them for my tricked-out JVC HD100 (with rails, matte box, heavy batteries, wireless, etc).

As others have said, do NOT save money when it comes to sticks! In contrast to a camcorder which has a limited shelf life because technology is changing lightning fast, tripods/heads will last you a lifetime -- almost regardless how you treat them. So what's a $2k investment over a 10-20 year period? (compared to $4k on a camcorder that you have to literally throw away after 3 years because it doesn't give you the required footage and nobody will buy that old crap from you. ;)
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:59 PM   #32
Major Player

Stefan just curious what is the total weight with the tricked-out JVC you have on your Bogen 516 head with heavy Gitzo sticks?
Nope I'm not going to pitch pennies still researching all my options
thanks for the tip I'll look into it.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:22 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib View Post
Stefan just curious what is the total weight with the tricked-out JVC you have on your Bogen 516 head with heavy Gitzo sticks?
16 pounds. The 516 can handle that weight just fine.
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #34
Major Player

Finally got it!

So I finally went and got me the Sachler FSB 4. My HM100 looks really tiny on top of the fluidhead but eventually I will be putting more weight on it. (wide angle lens, monitor, mic etc)

I have a few questions to ask.
There's a little allen wrench that came with the tripod does anyone know what it's for?
Does the fluidhead come off easily from the legs?
I set the counter balance for 1 not sure if this is the right setting for a 2lb camera but the tilt feels good to me. The nice thing about the free shoulder strap that came with the tripod is that I can fit it around my arms like a backpack. I'm sure my new tripod will perform well with the HM100 the real test is whether I will be able to carry this beast on my back while riding my motorcycle. If the fluidhead removes easily I would be able to put it in my saddle bag and carry only the legs on my back.

Hey all thanks again for your help:-)

Last edited by Kajito Nagib; September 22nd, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Kajito Nagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:24 PM   #35
Major Player

I just did some outdoor test with my new sachtler. The pans were very smooth and so was the tilt. The problem I had was when I stopped the horizontal pan and let go of the handle it would jerk back a little is that normal for this type of tripod? I tried different horizontal settings the one that gave me less jerk was #3. The counter balance adjustment is just for tilt it shouldn't effect the pan right?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM   #36
Major Player

The counterbalance should be adjusted with the drag at zero. The right setting will be the one that holds the camera when let go in any position. In reality there will not be a perfect setting but use the one that matches the closest. Some people will prefer the setting that is a little too much spring if there is one that is not perfect.

Then use the tilt drag that suits your shooting style the most, or for the shooting condition.

The horizontal drag would not affect the vertical drag of course. All tripod legs will wind up a bit. Usually, the less expensive the more they spring. Always extend the upper leg sections fully before extending the lower sections any to minimize windup on the tripod. Use the lightest drag setting you can while still getting a smooth pan.

Another trick to minimize the effects of windup is use an elastic band to pull the pan handle. Practice your moves and things will improve. Which specific model did you buy?
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:39 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Nagy View Post
Which specific model did you buy?
Sachtler 0375 FSB-4 ok I'll give it a try.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:01 PM   #38
Major Player

I have the CF speedlock legs too. They do not wind up enough when used as I have described to be a problem. If you want zero windup then you need to step up to a much heavier 100mm bowl system.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Nagy View Post
I have the CF speedlock legs too. They do not wind up enough when used as I have described to be a problem. If you want zero windup then you need to step up to a much heavier 100mm bowl system.
how heavy is the 100mm bowl system?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:23 PM   #40
Major Player

I was speaking generally. 100mm bowl systems tend to be heavier and stiffer. There are many tripods with 100mm bowls to choose from and they can be fitted with a 100mm-75mm adapter so that an FSB-4 can be mounted.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM   #41
Trustee

It's not 75mm or 100mm, it's just the tripod.

If you have a chance I will suggest again that you try your camera and head on a Gitzo Series 3 tripod. I have links and descriptions in an earlier post.

I specifically tired Sachtler, Vinten and Miller tripods. All of them were less steady than the Gitzo. the Gitzo has virtually no bounce back, esecially when not fully extended. For your needs, for the weight and the rigidity, I suggest you look at one.

Gitzo also makes a heavier Series 5, but that is not necessary for your camera and head.

As I have mentioned before, the Gitzo tripods (linked above) will take a flat head, a 75mm half bowl, and a 100mm half ball, just by changing the collar/adapter.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM   #42
Major Player

Jack is right. I was just trying to say that between tripods built for 75mm bowls tend to be less rigid than ones built for 100mm. I am sure that the Gitzo tripod is good.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
It's not 75mm or 100mm, it's just the tripod.

If you have a chance I will suggest again that you try your camera and head on a Gitzo Series 3 tripod. I have links and descriptions in an earlier post.

I specifically tired Sachtler, Vinten and Miller tripods. All of them were less steady than the Gitzo. the Gitzo has virtually no bounce back, esecially when not fully extended. For your needs, for the weight and the rigidity, I suggest you look at one.

Gitzo also makes a heavier Series 5, but that is not necessary for your camera and head.

As I have mentioned before, the Gitzo tripods (linked above) will take a flat head, a 75mm half bowl, and a 100mm half ball, just by changing the collar/adapter.
hi Jack, I sent you a PM with some questions but yes I plan to get the Gitzo.
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:41 PM   #44
Major Player

I had to return the Sachtler FSB-4 Carbon fiber tripod it was too heavy for me and instead got the Sachtler 0372 FSB-4 Aluminum tripod and the Gitzo GT3531LSV Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod. I just took it out of the box so I haven't had time to test it but comparing with the Sachtler this is definitely lighter and smaller which make it easier for me to carry around on my bike. All I need is a shoulder strap to carry the Gitzo. I need something light and small like a backpack can anyone recommend anything?

I spent a lot more with this tripod configuration but I think it was worth it. Thanks for all your help.

-kaj
Old November 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM   #45
Major Player

hey everyone i have a question i went out to shoot today with my Sachtler 0372 FSB-4
and lost the thing (don't know what its called) that twist on to hold the head in place. (tripod mount?) what is it called and where can i get a replacement? i hope you know what i'm talking about.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads