Wow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Wow

I was walking through A&P yesterday when I saw brand new DVD players selling for $28.00! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. They also had portable LCD DVD players for 99 bucks, and I could remember when these things were averaging 400 bucks. This really makes me realize that HDTV and HD DVDs have a LONG way to go (which is contrary to what I use to think.)
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:36 AM   #2
Wrangler

I see your point... however walk over to the photo counter and you can probably buy a disposable camera for $5. And on your way home you can get a full meal at McDonald's for $4. You get what you pay for...

Actually the $28 DVD players have been around for awhile... I bought an iBook for my daughter a year and a half ago and one of the "free gifts" that came with it was a cheap DVD player.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Wrangler

I'd rather have $300 DVD players and gas be back down to $1.10us a gallon...
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:51 PM   #4
Wrangler

Here in my part of New Jersey, gas has dropped to around $1.80/gal recently. This sort of boggles my mind since it got as high as $3.20 during the Katrina period...
Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Major Player

I bought a DVD player for someone as a gift LAST Christmas for $30 bucks....and they had been that cheap for months. The bottom-of-the-barrel DVD players have been in the $30-ish range for well over a year now. Heck, I stopped at a truck stop sometime last year and they had a $30 DVD players for sale. At a freakin' truck stop! LOL!

And about HDTVs getting cheaper: I've got a 34" HD CRT, and last Christmas they were selling for around $1400-to-$1500. This year, the exact same kind/sive of TVs are selling for $899-to-$999. That's a full THIRD off the price from a year ago--that's HUGE!

I'd say that give it another year and the bottom-end HDTVs are going to be very afforable.

:-)

Now if they can just get the Blu-Ray/HD DVD thing worked out....
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 03:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yea, the DVD players have been cheap for quite a while (bought my first DVD player for $40 :-) Surprisingly, these cheap DVD players are compatible with a lot more media than the really expensive ones.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 07:50 AM   #7
Capt. Quirk

Hey Glen- You guys still have A&P grocery stores? I haven't seen one of those in like 30 years!
Old December 3rd, 2005, 10:20 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

This reminds me of Blade Runner in a way. It's the future coming true today. Not long from now, food will be a scarce resource, but there will be a scanning electron microscope on every street corner.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 10:31 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
This reminds me of Blade Runner in a way. It's the future coming true today. Not long from now, food will be a scarce resource, but there will be a scanning electron microscope on every street corner.
Whoa! I didn't see Blade Runner, but as an old farm girl who has watched our farm ground be taken out of production for housing, I can sure relate. A big part of the winter activity around these parts has become scratching for ground to rent in order to grow our crops.

Sorry for the OT--your words just shocked me a bit, Chris. :)
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Hey Glen- You guys still have A&P grocery stores? I haven't seen one of those in like 30 years!
Yeah, brand new ones too, they're really nice.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #11
Wrangler

I noticed they were selling DVD recorders today at WalMart for $70. That's what a VCR cost just a few years ago. I guess VHS is going to disappear altogether pretty soon...
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #12
Capt. Quirk

I used to like the Atlantic & Pacific stores, their prices were really good. It was another one of those chains that started in the 20's I think. Now, all you can find down here, are Wal Marts and CVS pharmacies. A&P closed it's doors down here at least 30 years ago, and I had assumed the chain went under. I guess they moved into the new age by selling electronics too?
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:07 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Whoa! I didn't see Blade Runner, but as an old farm girl who has watched our farm ground be taken out of production for housing, I can sure relate. A big part of the winter activity around these parts has become scratching for ground to rent in order to grow our crops.

Sorry for the OT--your words just shocked me a bit, Chris. :)
My family up there are/were farmers. I remember when I could go to my late uncles house and not see anything for miles (at Meridian), now houses every where. He used to be a dairy farmer, and grew crops on leased and owned land. Disappearing fast. My cousin still farms though. Don't know for how long
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I guess VHS is going to disappear altogether pretty soon...
You mean it hasn't already?

;-)
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #15
Wrangler

Well it has for ME, but no it really hasn't disappeared. People still want VHS dubs of our performance videos. I think very few "average" Americans have DVD recorders in their homes at this point. But the change is coming...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media