Rockport College at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 13th, 2002, 12:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rockport College

hello,
i'm looking to get back into school. i've been requesting literature from rockport college/the workshops for a bit. it looks very interesting, like a tradeschool for filmmakers. i was wondering if anyone here has attended the school? or does anyone here know instructors that teach there? i know a school's literature they send it is going to reflect every possible feature of their school/courses in good light. but getting brochures and other writings from a few schools, this gives quite a different feel. any feedback/info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

matt
Old December 13th, 2002, 12:58 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I asked the same question last July.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...light=rockport

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 02:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

ah, i think that does answer some of my questions. i was "suspicious" too. almost seems like one of those things..."if it's too good to be true..." so did you end up going or still considering to go if you didn't? i'll definitely be giving them a call soon to talk over some details hopefully. thanks again for the help.

matt
Old December 13th, 2002, 11:19 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

No, Matt, I have not attended one of these classes.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #5
New Boot

I went to the Rockport, Maine workshops about 2-3 years ago. I attended the "Advanced Lighting" workshop. It was excellent! You are generally surrounded by creatively-motivated people. After years of doing corporate video, it lit a fire again. Very cool. I finally got a solid technique/approach for lighting in any situation. Came back ready to tackle the world. Then, I ran into the brick wall of old-school "but-we-never-did-that-before" stogy thinking that is my workplace. AAAAAhhh.

I DO recommend it though. Its a great experience.

Jeff Patnaude
Mac Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #6
Major Player

FYI

I can say that I am from Maine and a town south of Rockport. Why am I in New York City? You ask... The stress of people being stacked up on top of eachother and the lovely air... (NYC is a love hate relationship)

Rockport is a beautiful/tourist haven in the summer. Its good to slow things down and appreciate nature and the sea. I have not taken classes at the above mentioned, but the area may inspire you.

Cheers!

FYI - - Several movies have been filmed around that area, Mel Gibson's "Man Without a Face", "In The Bedroom," "Message in a Bottle" I know of some more, but I am taxed at the moment. I need to steal away to Maine for awhile.

Good Journey!
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:21 AM   #7
Trustee

Matt, I went there last year for a video class. I worked my butt off and loved every second of it. I have been doing video since 1988 and could not believe how much I learned. It was a fantastic and motivating week. Definately go for a week. And, I must say the food was GREAT!!! You will have a magnificant time. Bob Safay
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media