Broadcast TV question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 21st, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Broadcast TV question

It has become apparent to me that SD digital signals from the DISH network satellite have lost a great deal of quality in the last few years. I assume that this is because of extreme compression, making room for additional signals. Does anyone know the technical details about : 1) the SD TV data rate of shows supplied by the networks, 2) the data rate transmitted by satellite providers, and 3) the data rate per channel provided by cable companies. Any info would be of interest.

EDIT - Never mind, my question was answered below on the "HDV artifacts" thread in this topic. Thanks.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I know you said nevermind, but anyway just for reference...

I run a satellite truck. Typical data rates I transmit:

For a news hit, ie reporter, single camera, talking heads, ect: 5mbs

Low budget sports, political coverage, medium action: 10 to 15 mbs.

Most SD sports coverage: 18 to 25 mbs.

HD sports: 29 to 54 mbs.

I am appalled to see what happens to a first generation signal (like HD hockey or nascar) after it's been bounced and processed by the networks and dish provider. It's got so much compression and blotching, it looks like a .gif file.

I still do 36mhz wide analog too. Broadcast quality first generation ANALOG video is a thing of beauty. Most people have never seen one. I just doesn't travel well.
Tom Majeski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media