Coming to NC from Germany at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 4th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Coming to NC from Germany

After nearly seven years of living NTSC in a PAL world, my wife has been transferred to the Jacksonville/Wilmington part of North Carolina. Looks like quite a few production outfits in Wilmington, so I'm hopeful that I find something within my field once I get there.

I'd be interested in working on non-paying productions while I'm there if anybody needs a cameraman, lighting support, or whatever...I'm willing to work for good BBQ (beef only, please).
Steve Roark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #2
New Boot

Beef BBQ in Eastern NC

NC is my home and BBQ is serious business in NC. I don't know about the production side other than a lot of money was spent on facilities in the Wilmington area- a wretched drive from Camp Lejeune to Wilmington. Back to the BBQ, PORK is King- whether it be a whole hog on the pit or smoker or just a Boston Butt, I found the vinegar based sauce something to get used to. Central NC molasses based sauce is my favorite. The beef brisquet will be found in Texas.
cheers,
Wallace Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

In Germany pork is king as well, which is fine for a while, but I was raised on a Texas ranch, where pork was a garnish for wrapping around filets :) I also miss Mexican food and chicken-fried steak. Dang, I can't finish my resume if I'm drooling on my keyboard...
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Welcome from a fellow Army guy. I wasn't in the army my self but was stationed with family there in Heidelberg. Hope your PCS goes smoothly and you find some of the BBQ you are looking for.
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks. My wife and I are civilians as well. We just couldn't pass up a chance to explore Europe while drawing a steady paycheck.
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Major Player

I hear that. Sorry I assumed one of you was Military from the location. I really enjoyed my time over there.
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah, its kind of rare to be here without one family member wearing a uniform. My job is/was documenting training with video and still cameras. Her is in childcare. Not a bad way to see Europe, but the Army makes you rotate back to the states every 5 years and sit there for a year before you can start another 5 year tour. So, that's whwew we are now.
Old January 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace Frank
NC is my home and BBQ is serious business in NC. I don't know about the production side other than a lot of money was spent on facilities in the Wilmington area- a wretched drive from Camp Lejeune to Wilmington.
Just helped my son move out of Camp Lejeune in November as he was done with his 4 year active Marine duty. I think he was telling me that some of the WB network shows were being shot in the Wilmington facilities. Is that true?

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I heard from someone on a different site that One Tree Hill was filmed there. Don't know what network its from. I figure any gig that doesn't require body armor is a good gig.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #10
New Boot

If you're still around, Steve, I'm very close to Jacksonville (about 12 miles east on HW 24), if you ever want to meet up. My time is split between writing computer software, including some video processing software, and actually shooting. I shoot mostly to maintain my sanity, but I manage to get some paying gigs.
Douglas Toltzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #11
Major Player

Welcome back to states.

I'm just up the road in va. There is a lot of stuff going on in NC. In addition to One Tree they used to shoot a lot of "Surface" as well.
Very big for indie "hiatus" shooting when those tv stars are trying to show "another side of their creativity".
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #12
Regular Crew

North Carolina is actually quite popular for not only TV but feature films. Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill, Surface on the TV side and films such as The Crow, Bull Durham, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Kiss The Girls, Hannibal, The Fugitive, Firestarter, and I know What You Did Last Summer just to name a few. Asheville and Wilmington are hotspots for the entertainment industry. Currently George Clooney is starring in a film called Leatherheads in the Wilmington area. The film is about the early days of football. I have been working with an actor that has auditioned for a film being directed by Denzel Washington called "The Great Debaters". Richard Gere is also starring in a film being shot in the Wilmington area sometime soon.

Btw I am a filmmaker that just joined the boards, and I live in a small town called Roxboro. Currently I am working with a production company in Durham called Eno River Media Productions. Check out their website www.ermp.tv

Also, pork BBQ for the win, and especially with vinegar based sauces, with some good cole slaw on the side of course. Btw welcome back to the states.
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #13
Tourist

Welcome Back

Welcome back to the states. I am a young film maker in NC in the eastern part of the state. If you ever need an extra hand just let me know, I am always eager to learn from every experience.
Albert Kinchen Hines III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Have you all seen this doc about wilmington filmmaking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQD1dpsrwM

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood