Super 16mm Brazilian feature, any DOP out there?!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 21st, 2004, 07:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Super 16mm Brazilian feature, any DOP out there?!?

Hello, my name is daniel.

im almost ready to shot my first feature film.

i only have 100k to start and finish the shooting scheduling.

so, the producer is only giving me the option to shoot it in Digital Dv. AND I THINK IT IS POSSIBLE TO SHOOT IN SUPER 16MM, but he thinks is not. and hes the producer...

so, the only way for me to shoot in super 16mm is to find a DOP who has a super 16mm cam and wanna try to get this job for a low profit. anyway, if this movie get made in 16mm, it will be a good international alternative movie.

so, who wanna try the Third World production style!?!?!?????

ciao
Daniel Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

hi Daniel!
hopefully you had some luck in finding your DP with 16mm gear! but if you didnt... you should consider Dv. these days it has gained so much more acceptance as a dramatic medium. also, if you are interested in going that route, i have a canon xl1s pkg and plenty of experience working in the industry with a variety of different mediums (stopped shooting film years ago and sold all my 16mm gear!) and in many different positions (producer,director,DP,cam op, editor,etc) check out my site and view my online demo. if you are interested we can talk about budget and timeframes....
again, good luck if you havent started your project yet!!!

marc
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Daniel!
My name is Diogo, and I sincerely think you should consider Digital.
I finished not long ago a short movie in Toronto with this beautiful Panasonic DVX-100, and here in Brasil I've done my independent company's second Music Video with this camera, and I got so excited with the process that I am starting (embryonically speaking) to pre-produce my first feature as well. The script is almost ready but that's beside the point.
The point is that your producer is right. Go digital. You have 100k and I HOPE we're talking US dollars here, man...
Shoot digital, edit it on a FCP4 suit or whatever system you like best, pay for the film transfer and keep some of the dough for yourselves, man, or save it to make a pretty kick-ass art direction (I would do that)...
It's your first feature, right?
I assume you want to see it on festivals and theaters, right?
Nowadays there are a lot of great festivals accepting digital work. If you want to make a difference, transfer it to film, and it still is going to be cheaper than shooting on film...
The DVX-100 we own is absoluting amazing for that matter, and if you decide to shoot your stuff on film, well, good luck. I wouldn't burn 100k on film in my first feature, specially if my PRODUCER wants it to be shot on digital...
Anyway, that's me, man.
Let's keep in touch, I'm living in Rio Grande do Sul now...
Best regards,
Diogo
Diogo Galhanone Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #4
New Boot

-if this movie get made in 16mm, it will be a good international alternative movie.

Hey man, I forgot this part: What makes ANY movie a good movie is a good story, not the equipment... If you have a great story, and you're lucky enough to have someone to pay you to produce it, well, just make sure you don't screw the good story. It's as simple as that.
It doesn't matter if on film or digital. I just know that digital will give you the freedom you won't have on film with a tight budget.
Oh, and by the way, you will need not only a good DOP eager to work for a pack of thums, man. There's no good PHOTOgraphy with no good LIGHT... It doesn't matter which camera you're using, but DV gear is cheaper, so it saves you money to bring a Gaffer to the set and so forth.
Again, man, listen to your producer...
All the best,
Diogo.
Old November 20th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey diogo,

im from Recife.

!!!
Daniel Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:56 AM   #6
New Boot

Hey man!
Tell me more about this project...
Have you made up your mind? Film or digital?
Keep me informed...
Thanks,
Diogo.
P.S.:
Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:54 PM   #7
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

if super 16 doesn't work out take a look at either digibeta or the panasonic SDX 900 .. both transfer to FILM that will come very close to super 16 in many ways but will give the impression of being cleaner/sharper as it doesn't have film grain moving around ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey guys. There's a job available in BH if anybody's up for it. Check out John Grimsons thread "NTSC shooter in Brazil" in the Helping hands section.

Too far for me but otherwise I'd do it!

Falou?
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood