The New Girl. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old September 14th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Rolled tacos w/Guac at 3 am

is the thing that bonds San Diegans around the world-really...

forget LA it's as diluted or self conscious or whateva as SF about Mex food....what is SO hard??

So you got the all time great Carne asado marinade? I'm favorable to beer marinades.

and I don't know if you have an interest, but Tokyo has one of the better developed Tango scenes...and I would be interested to see it. I am the "tango filmmaker" to the SF scene...And I hear Salsa is "infecting" Japan as well.

People in Japan doing Cuban Salsa...thas a cultural oxymoron I want to see!

and "suicide girls" (new name for goth models) I love them! Similar to your vampires I presume..
Old September 14th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #17
ChorizoSmells

Suicide Girls, I like that, I'll have to tell my friends that, they'll like that. It seems every bar/club here now has a Salsa night, some even have a salsa band. Right now I started up iTunes and the first song it played was some Javier Solis, the day is getting off to a good start.

I just hope they don't have a Peruvian band like they did a couple of years ago, the japanese always get something wrong...hhmmm, it's a Mexican holiday, I know, let's have a group from Peru play some Peruvian music, it's all the same right??

yeah, from Javier Solis to some Funkadelics, iTunes is setting up a nice playlist.

Tangos, there are some Tango performances touring here several times a year. Don't know much about the Tango scene in Japan, Flamenco is pretty big here also, I've met a lot of japanese people who learn spanish because they want to go and study Flamenco in Spain.

About 8 years ago, I got the see the Ballet Flokorico de Mexico perform here in Osaka, and the fact that it was the same day as my birthday made it even better, that has got the be the best present my wife has gotten me, well, maybe second best, my XL-1 is the best, not really a present, but she "let" me buy it.
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Ballet Folklorica is "the shit"...

and tickets to their performances are as expensive as Cirque de Soleil!

fortunately I saw them ten years ago before they became a high priced event in the Bay Area..they are one of those "status" oriented Multi-culti things....but this is the "decade of the Latino" in California...Cheech Marin has become a big player in visual arts and political hustle...never thought I'd see that!

Now if we could stop tripping out and get bilingual public eduaction back. Oh, but that would empower the majority wouldn't it?

from the former territory of Mexico-
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #19
ChorizoSmells

Yeah, you can't have them Meskins running things, better off having them hopping around in pretty costumes :-) So it costs as much as Cirque, I've never seen Cirque, they come to Japan every year now, I don't know how much their tickets cost here but it has to be more expensive than the usual show. To see an act like Clapton, it will be about $120 for the cheapest seats and Cirque right now is very hot in Japan. My friend was the DJ at a party for them at some club here in Osaka, he said the performers are all really cool people, everyone had their kids there. It must be a great life, getting to travel all over the world with your family.

I was wondering why you threw your hands up on the XL-1 and got a GL-2 instead? I find myself on the opposite side, I borrowed a friends GL-1 while my XL-1 was in the shop, and now I've told myself I can only use it or a camera like it unless someone puts a gun to my head and makes me.

I've gotten so used to the XL-1 I don't like using smaller cameras, it's a pain to carry around when I have a lot of other gear but once I start shooting, it is all worthwhile. But if I had the money I would get a GL-2 to use as a second camera, have a friend use it or set it up on a tripod. Maybe I can one day buy the gl-1 off of my friend when he upgrades to the GL-2. The Sony VX-1000 I use as a wide angle shot or have a friend use is on it's last legs, I give it about another year or so.
Old September 16th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #20
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quick Diez y Seis Update:

Nada. Didn't find a thing, Rik...and I was looking forward to some cold Sols with "Volver, Volver" being played by mariachis.
Old September 16th, 2003, 11:39 AM   #21
ChorizoSmells

John,
I was hoping they would have some Mariachis there but they didn't. They flew in a full brass band from Mexico, which is okay but I'm used to hearing the full Mariachi sound. When I went two years ago, they had the Mariachis but they had a japanese couple dressed in the outfits signing with the Mariachis, they sang Volver, Volver but it didin't sound quite right and so it ruined the song for me. It's my favorite song. They actually played the Macarena for 15 min. and when they had a Peruvian band come out and play Peruvian music, I left early. Leave it to the Japanese to get it all wrong.

And with all the signing and dancing the Mexicans were doing, it didn't get the crowd going very much, although when they annouced that the Hanshin Tigers had won the Pacific Leauge Pennant, the crowd went crazy and they played the Tigers song for 10 min. So the Mexican annoucer would yell Viva Mexico, Viva Hanshin and that would get the crowd going.

So you didn't miss much, I only go to see some friends and to hear a couple of good songs and eat some semi okay mexican food. I spent most of the time at the very back hanging out with friends, even my japanese friends were puzzled by some of the stuff the organizers were doing.

we are going to have a cookout at our friends place this sunday and we're making tacos, the stuff there was over priced and it was too japanized, my wife who has eaten the real deal didn't really think the food was all that good. by the time I got there, the tamales I got were made with cheese and a stip of green pepper inside, I thought it would have been pork, but they sold out and the guy didn't tell me it was a cheese/green pepper tamale. I should have gone home at that point, cause it was all downhill from there.

Sometimes things go really wrong here and life in Japan sucks, but it will pass soon and things will be good again, I'm sure you know what I mean, except tonight they pre-empted Star Trek to show the Hanshin game again so I'm going to make a small Tigers voodoo doll and curse the Tigers into losing the Japan Series. Nothing gets in the way of my Star Trek.
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:15 AM   #22
Regular Crew

this is MY thread about ME...

so I'm taking it back!

and if I have to make a smiley face to tell you i'm kidding...

so film talk. question...

you guys do what? industrial? hobby? art? What?

am i the only hotshot nobody arthouse director? if not, i want to know what people are making narrative-wise...or other-wise.

perhaps there is something to talk about. hmm?
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #23
Regular Crew

one more thing..

Rik-

In regards to my hands thrown up over XL-1...

I got sick and tired of the focus not staying fixed at close range(yep I pushed the button), and I was about to buy one for this Guerella doc in BAires, but then was glad I got the GL2...even though I miss the heft and wish the thing fit my hand better.

I became a filmmaker 'cuz of DV. I have no college to speak of, and couldn't think of working in film because of the cost. DV made it possible.

But this is my last DV film. after that, I am all budget and 35mm film and production insurance. Which, after having become accustomed to the freedom of DV, sucks in a way.

If I finally redeem myself and make a living at this, I will get the sweetest tricked-out XL1s you ever saw. Just because I've wanted one all this time and my work needed things like manual lenses, and didn't get it.

But for a Doc in Argentina...man the GL2 is perfect. Looks "tourist" for one thing...no one will notice it. XL1 is impressive to see...which is good and bad.

So that is the reason for the GL2. I wanted something a little littlier, just as complicated, with one less of the damn servo focus chip things...

and the color on the GL2 is more true...I love the red of the XL1, but in Tangoland, everyone wears red, and it would look like f*cking "Carrie" or something...

Peace
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #24

Howdy Kat

you guys (and gals) ain't seen nuttin' 'til you've et a wee bit 'o New mexican green chile. Doh!! mixed my southwestern and irish accents...
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #25
Regular Crew

New Mexican chile cures blindness?

Hi Bill. Do you want to say something or are you just being childish?
Old September 17th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #26

just a kid at heart...and love to suck up bandwidth, what's your excuse?
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:04 PM   #27
Regular Crew

no excuses.

I need a safe space to beat up men.
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #28

hmmm....
THAT"S scary!
Most men will fold like a cheap tent under the slings and arrows of a righteous woman. Others are likely to just beat her to a pulp.
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #29
Regular Crew

let me hope I am speaking to the former...

'a righteous woman'...good one.

K
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #30

I could be an honorable, dependable, compassionate, sensitive new age guy....

but, years in this biz have made me curmudgeonly. I am, however, only borderline abusive.

Guess it's up to you to carry the flag.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood