Thought: freelance employer evaluation forum/thread? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Thought: freelance employer evaluation forum/thread?

I've started doing more work for a wide array of national and near-international production organizations that source or subcontract with local videographers, usually via contact through Mandy, Media Match, Craigslist, or wherever. Some of these outfits have been great, some have been OK, some less-than-stellar, and some have outright ripped me off.

What would the forumeers' (forumites? foruminants? forumulans? forumese?) opinions be on having someplace to give simple reports on whether terms are fair, jobs are realistic, payment is prompt, and so forth so fellow videographers around the globe know what they're getting into before signing on with these gigs?
Old September 24th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Thought: freelance employer evaluation forum/thread?

Sounds like it would be a liability nightmare. I know I would sue for damages if I got a foul review that I felt I did not deserve...

Just my 2 cents...
Old September 24th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Major Player

What if it were a foul review you did deserve?

How to sites like Yelp or the billion of other service rating sites handle this?
Old September 24th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

The ability to litigate (and cause the alleged offending party money to bring a defense) has NOTHING to do with merit of the argument.

If I, with my fictious staff of 7 high priced lawyers on retainer, sued you, you would incur a great deal of legal costs to defend against the lawsuit "we" brought against you. Unless of course "you" found an attorney willing to work for free or willing to take a cut of a countersuit against "me".

The legal system is seldom about who is right and who is wrong, but what can be brought forward in court.

Of course, "your" legal defense would be based around "my" lousy performance and well documented proof of same. (For example, showing up with a VHS camcorder and claiming it was HD...)

It would still cost "you" money to defend against the suit. AND if "you" carry liability insurance, the willingness of "your" insurer to continue to insure "you", given that "you" were actively engaging in activities that expose "yourself" to greater legal liability, may decrease as well.

Not saying it isn't a good idea, in concept. Just saying it is FAR easier to propose than to follow through on.

Again, my 2 cents contributed to the conversation. I encourage any parties with views contrary to my own (especially those of more learned legal backgrounds!) to contribute as well.
Old September 24th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

I would like to think this site, by now, has a good deal of class and professionalism that separates it from places like yelp. Who takes the time to review a fuddruckers anyway? Who are these people?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Go to Freelancers Union :: Platform for an Independent Workforce - Pages from Freelancers Union. They have a most useful feature where you can rate employers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business