Music Copyright - a different question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old December 6th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #16
Major Player

I am not a lawyer, I hope Paul will clarify my mistakes, but part of maintaining ownership of intellectual property, such as trademarks and copyrights, is to stop people from using them. if your aware of someone using your property, you must stop the use. if you do not attempt to stop it, it gives people the right to claim its being treated as public use. thats why the cease and desist orders are sent out, and some of the lawsuits on smaller violaters. if you allow anyone to use your intellectual property for little things, and then attempt to sue only the big guy, the big guys lawyers will point out that you didn't prosecute anyone else, therefore you really don't care. yes its a bummer if your using copyright music without permission in your wedding videos, but its a good thing if you are protecting your video.
Old December 6th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

It should be clearly understood that Paul Tauger is one of the good guys, and we're very fortunate to have him here on this forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old December 6th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Plowman View Post
If I may ask, I am new to the forums. are you employed by the forums?
Nobody is "employed" at DV Info Net, except me. And I'm self-employed.

All our forum moderators are generously donating their time and expertise for the benefit of everyone here.

Old December 6th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #19
Major Player

Paul, thanks for the explanation of this, and thanks so much for your comments on this board, which I and many others have benefitted from. You're absolutely correct, this does sound like a cut-and-dried egregious example of copyright infringement; thanks for explaining. If this kind of infringement was not attacked in the courts, then anyone could rip off copyrighted works, including my own.

It's just that I personally have a problem with someone being apparently hounded in perpetuity, given that you know that they'll never be able to satisfy a judgement. What's on earth is the point? Since you went to the trouble of writing about this aspect of the litigation, it's fair for me to assume that either you or your client feel that this is a reasonable thing to do; I don't.
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Nobody is "employed" at DV Info Net, except me. And I'm self-employed.

All our forum moderators are generously donating their time and expertise for the benefit of everyone here.
as a newbie here, its difficult to figure out who are moderators and who are not, hence my asking for clarification. also, I was curious as to Pauls specialty. Thank you for the response, hopefully this hasn't hijacked the thread too much.
and Thanks to all, In appreciate having the forum to learn from.
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn View Post
it's fair for me to assume that either you or your client feel that this is a reasonable thing to do; I don't.
Hi Greg -
The key term is eggregious - the legal term means the idjit was just ASKING FOR IT... I too found the initial description rather objectionable (I'm dealing with a bunch of attorneys right now who seem to have no ethics, so it's a sore point), BUT when you have someone who just doesn't get it, and rips you off, I can understand the position - sometimes you have to send a message.

Admittedly, it sounded harsh... but Paul doesn't seem the type to act rashly to me, and his added explanation certainly justifies the response - some people ASK for what they get, and looks to me like the blatant infringer crossed the line into that territory!
Old December 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn View Post
... either you or your client feel that this is a reasonable thing to do; I don't.
You don't feel that way because you don't know the specifics of the case, and you're making a judgment call without knowing all the facts (I don't know all the facts either, but I'm not passing judgment).

This has gone off topic far enough -- we have scores of other threads here discussing music copyright; and I'm not running a web site for the purpose of picking apart what other members do for a living; especially one who has been so incredibly helpful in providing us with a better understanding of the legal process such as Paul has done for us so many times before. Thread closed.

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business