making my own steadicam - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 26th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #16
Wrangler

The 2-way adjustment is very important for production rigs and I am glad to see it is finally being integrated into recent models. For years I have been hearing of people experiencing fatigue while working with DV-sized cameras, which shouldn't be the case since these rigs are about a 1/4 of the weight of a 35mm rig, and you don't have to be a Superman to fly those. But if the rig is flying away from the body and one has to use one's arm strength to rein it in, it will quickly multiply the fatigue level over a properly trimmed rig.

However, for a homebuild that is (I would imagine) being used primarily by one person, it should be adequate for the pitch of the arm to be built into the design of the vest attachment--in other words, if you are making a connector that is a simple pin that drops into a hole, the pin should not be true vertical but biased back and to the opposite side that the rig flies on to allow for torque and play within the components of the arm.
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #17
Major Player

I'm pretty positive that you'd get some help actually over on our forums, but don't worry about the whole stealing ideas thing. As long as you're not photocopying someone's plans and putting them in a book, you're basically going to be alright. We are all in the buisness of sharing ideas anyways. I know that I personally would really like to see some pictures, and maybe even a HBS review of the rig from your book.

I hope to see you over there soon.

Charles, thanks for saying that, I hadn't even remotely thought of doing that. I may just have to go try it out tonight. Any chance you know what causes those back pains that seem to be right on either side of your spine when you're operating? I seem to get those a ton. My rig isn't really top-notch yet though, so it might be that, but I think it might be my operating posture. If you could help me out with that, I'd be immensely grateful. I shot close to 4 hours of footage, having to lie down on my back after each half hour of operating, luckily I was at a Tae Kwon Do studio, so they had padded floors.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #18
Major Player

aah.. "That" muscle.

Tom, there is a muscle in your lower back that you only use when operating, it will take it a little while to gain a bit of strength. This is probably what youa re feeling.

however if it is hurting, stop. - this is the golden rule of operating.

It may be that you need practice, or if it is a different muscle, then it coudl be yoru posture. You shoudl always be standing up straight when you are operating. - This is why you really need that arm trimmed to you so you can stand properly.

- Mikko
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #19
Major Player

I'd met a woman operator years ago (maybe 15 or 20 years now) that had totally redesigned the vest for her steadicam (they just aren't made for women's bodies she told me). She had formed metal and fiberglass to form fit her figure. She looked a little like a cross between Joan of Arc and Robocop in that thing. Anyway, because of the form fitting vest, she could go forever without too much back pain. Wish I could remember her name.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #20
Wrangler

That would be Liz Zeigler (click here for pic).

Tom, what Mikko said plus make sure to keep the rig flying as close to your body as possible to reduce strain, and use the rest position when possible (tilt the camera back and rest the center post on your shoulder, and lean back on your heels--this will take the strain off "that muscle").
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks Charles and Mikko. I'll try that out Charles. I've been just putting it on my balancing stand between takes, but if that works, that'll be even easier.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #22
Wrangler

Tom, don't get me wrong, if you can dock it, do so. The rest position is more for the standing around when you are just about to shoot and something needs to be adjusted that will "just take a second" and takes 30 seconds, but you need to be in standby mode, that sort of thing.
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
That would be Liz Zeigler (click here for pic).
Holy Crap, that's her. Is there nothing that I can't find out on these threads? I had no idea I was in the presence of such greatness! Do you know if she is still operating, Charles?

Dan
www.DvcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #24
Wrangler

I bumped into her at Cinegear this spring. She is in fact still operating.
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #25
Major Player

A word of caution for newbies...Don't mess with the Charles'. They will always win in the trivia department especially Charles P.

By the way Charles', I have finally figured out the linearity thing and what part is out of whack for a particular "swing". It took a long time and now it just makes sense. Thanks for the clues and the need to make a good one.

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #26
Wrangler

Good to hear Terry. And I can tell you that I have been rewriting the instructional DVD script, it just might happen this time around...!
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:14 PM   #27
Major Player

Oh be still my heart---change that to steady,

You know that if you get your video done there will be many happy operators out here.

FYI, I'm having my gimbal CNC machined (Computer Numerical Control for newbies) this week "hopefully" and I'm looking at having some other parts shopped out. I might actually be close to marketing this dang thing.

Remember what I told you about needing a "grunt" for you project. I would be happy to do whatever I can in it's creation. In the voice of Igore, "Yes Master, I'll be happy to move that light"

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com

Last edited by Terry Thompson; August 29th, 2005 at 11:45 PM.
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)