What quick-release plate do you use with your F3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old October 17th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Major Player

What quick-release plate do you use with your F3?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what quick-release plates and adapters people are using with their rigged-up F3s. I'd be keen to hear people's experiences and recommendations.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: What quick-release plate do you use with your F3?

I'm using massive 510 head which I wouldn't call quick release. Also when I need a low tripod shot I am using an old 128RC head but using it cautiously.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm using a Tilta Shoulder mount which has an integrated VCT-14 mount.
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Zacuto baseplate with Sony VCT-14. Sachtler 18p head. When handheld, I throw a Zacuto shoulder pad on the back and use Shape handles as well as the DVTec ENG rig with spring-loaded rod and belt pod.

I really don't want to spend the money now, but I would much prefer the Shape plate to the Zacuto but already had the Zacuto.

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Trustee

As a firm devotee of the poor man's flexible, elegant, fast and funky solution, I simply use a cheap Giotto sliding quick release from B&H - around $35@ and similar to Manfrotto. I have about 5 of them on every possible mounting method I own, so it takes seconds to switch the camera from tripod to handheld to slider etc. I have done some work to grind the locking handle so it fits all devices and always carry an allen wrench for a tight lock though. Works pretty well so far but doesn't look too slick as a rental item.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys,

Leonard I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my own setup, just trying to decide on a plate/adaptor system that can handle the weight of the rigged-up F3 well.

Does anyone have any experience with the Manfrotto 577 QR system? It looks to be pretty much what I want, but I've basically hated and been let down by every single item of Manfrotto support gear I've ever bought, so I'd really rather go for a more trustworthy alternative - if anyone knows one?
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Trustee

Manfrotto & Giotto are basically about the same. Buy one from B&H & try it. you always have 30 days. I just didn't see anything I liked at a reasonable price that was similar. Would have bought something pricier if I had found it but I didn't see anything unless it was far far more expensive. I hate the Zavcuto because there is no quick release. On the Giotto it can be a bit of a pain to tighten & loosen sometimes but there is an Allen receiver in the handle so I just carry a short T handle 3 mm in my fanny pack. I keep the same plate on my camera and can slide it into lots of different rigs in moments. Wanky but very functional for me.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The "Lanparte" Shoulder Mounts with V-Lock deserve a Look. Lanparte makes the parts for "Tilta" and the pricing is even better. Im happy with my Tilta Mount, even though the Metal is a little flexy, but its build quality is good.
Matthias Sachal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Trustee

The Lanparte quick release looks pretty interesting don't see a price or know if its sturdy enough, but hell I'm using a Giotto.
lanparte height adjustable dslr camera baseplate 15mm rod compatible with follow focus and matte box
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta