RED PRO 18-85mm (BT) with F3 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old June 5th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: RED PRO 18-85mm (BT) with F3

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Graydon View Post
Do you by any chance have an update? Thanks!
Yes the Nikon reverse gear works fine, but the extra gear is very very close to some of my largers lenses like the 80-200 and 80-400. I'm going to use it because I don't want to relearn focus direction if I get some PL's down the track. If I'm using a FP, it doesn't matter, but for my own stuff, I don't want to be switching directions. I'll probably look around for a more dedicated reverses follow focus.
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
As I ponder whether I can - or should- buy the F3, the Red Pro BT zoom is also a consideration.

I cannot speak from shooting with the lens. What I think is worth considering is that it is a very heavy lens-- about 10 pounds-- and would require support. Optitek makes support ring for it for $345 and you will also need a heavy-duty bridge plate for your rails, which could run $500. The Duclos support is $325 and they sell a heavy duty bridge for $525. I do not know whether their $275 bridge plate would support the lens. So that $6K lens is now closer to $7K. That's still a considerable savings over a new lens.

You certainly can't beat the value in a PL-mount zoom lens.

Ned Soltz

This lens follows no industry standards however. Most follow focuses dont work with it, because the focus ring is ALLLLLLL the way at the nose, and its so wide that the basic industry standard follow focus( ARRI FF4) does not fit under it. You would have to use an Oconnor.

Its VERY quirky ergonomically, but optically quite nice.
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Corbett View Post
Yes the Nikon reverse gear works fine, but the extra gear is very very close to some of my largers lenses like the 80-200 and 80-400. I'm going to use it because I don't want to relearn focus direction if I get some PL's down the track. If I'm using a FP, it doesn't matter, but for my own stuff, I don't want to be switching directions. I'll probably look around for a more dedicated reverses follow focus.
Peter, Thank you for the update. Are you using Zeiss ZF's with the FF now? If so which ones? and is it necessary to use the reverse gear with them? Just trying to clarify. Thanks again!
William Graydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #34
Major Player

No I'm just using Nikons. I have the Tokina 11-16, Nikon 28mm, 50mm 1.4, 28-70mm 2.8, 105mm 2.5, 80-200mm, and 80-400mm.
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Thanks!

A conversation has started on CML comparing Leica R's to Zeiss ZF's any thoughts on this?

Also, is there any adapter yet for the leica to f3 pl mount? besides the leics r ->nikon -> pl mount route.
Edit*- Does anyone know when this will come out and how much it will cost? http://www.pstechnik.de/downloads/11..._IMS-F3_en.pdf

Seems like the only place to purchase Leica R's is on ebay any other spots?

Last edited by William Graydon; June 9th, 2011 at 10:44 AM.
William Graydon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta