S-Log for Canon why not for SxS? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old May 9th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: S-Log for Canon why not for SxS?

Thanks Alister - so basically, the 32 f.p. vs. 8 bit in NLE's is just a precision of number crunching. Thanks a lot for reassuring me.

Lenny,

Sorry for hijacking your interesting thread - with the quick and to the point answers from Allister, I'm shutting up :)
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #17
Trustee

Not a hijack at all. I found it interesting and actually wanted to ask more questions like what the heck is "floating point" anyway.

Unfortunately I realize after Alister's response to me that I just need to do some more reading about how video is encoded and how gamma curves work because I seem to be missing something basic in all these discussions. Alister was clear enough, but it just left me wondering how other curves work and gammas and encoding in general. Just showing my age I fear. i understand film just fine but that's easier.

If anyone knows of a really good overall explanation I would appreciate it. I did just find some articles by art adams on the ProVideo coalition website that might do the trick.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
Thank you Timur for posting a clear explanation as to why SLOG in 8 bit is a bad idea. The posterization of your material could easily result once a LUT is applied.
well apparently i was wrong, but the point is still there....

yes in LOG, the distribution of the bits to the stops is not equal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta