Sony PXW-Z90 Color Saturation Adjustment? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 7th, 2024, 02:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony PXW-Z90 Color Saturation Adjustment?

Can anyone tell me how to reduce the saturation of only red color on a Z90?I have the menu settings set to exactly what Doug Jensen recommends in his excellent course on this camera. The output is great except for one thing - skin tones are crazy red. I can fix it in post but would prefer not to do the extra work on 60 to 70 video clips I expect to record this coming weekend. If there is no way to reduce the red saturation I can try reducing overall saturation which is set to +2. Thanks for any help!

Len
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2024, 12:29 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony PXW-Z90 Color Saturation Adjustment?

I'm not familiar with D.J's Z90 settings for the Z90. Maybe Doug can chime in here with a suggestion for you.

Z90s and A7 series cameras don't run a full SMPTE Matrix which makes it a little hard to work on individual colors re Hue and Saturation. Though, they do have a menu setting called "Color Depth" in each PP. This tends to affect the luminance of each of the colors in that menu. Should Doug not see your post in time, you could in the meantime try selecting the Color Depth menu and try knocking the 'R' value to a MINUS setting. Maybe around -2 or -3 and see if that helps.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2024, 10:59 AM   #3
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
Can anyone tell me how to reduce the saturation of only red color on a Z90?I have the menu settings set to exactly what Doug Jensen recommends in his excellent course on this camera. The output is great except for one thing - skin tones are crazy red. I can fix it in post but would prefer not to do the extra work on 60 to 70 video clips I expect to record this coming weekend. If there is no way to reduce the red saturation I can try reducing overall saturation which is set to +2. Thanks for any help!

Len
Hi Len,

First of all, skintones should not be crazy red with my profile, so the first thing I suggest you do is check to be sure that your monitoring is accurate. Are things actually as red as they appear to be?

Next, you want to be sure your white balancing method isn't making things too warm. How are you setting WB?

If either of those things don't solve the problem, then, as Chris already suggested, dial down the "R" setting in the COLOR DEPTH menu. That might fix it, but to be honest, I don't own a Z90 anymore so I can't test it to see if it would change skin tones or not. The Z90 is a fading memory and I'm just going by the notes I made while doing testing in 2018.

If Color Depth doesn't fix it, then I'd suggest reducing the SATURATION menu back to "0".

If that doesn't fix it, then I suggest trying one of the other four COLOR MODES, such as "Cinema".

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
Old July 9th, 2024, 07:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks very much Chris and Doug for your suggestions! I will try them. Much appreciated.

Best regards,

Len
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds