PMW-200 & WA01 Wi-Fi Adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 8th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #1
New Boot

PMW-200 & WA01 Wi-Fi Adaptor

Hello fellow PMW owners and users!

Right, there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about using the CBK-WA01 adaptor with the PMW-200.

I'm looking at using this adaptor to control camera settings (exposure, zoom, focus and start/stop) from a remote location using a WiFi device. Firstly, does this adaptor allow this? And if so, does anybody have any experience with doing this?

When the camera was released there was talk of being able to do this with a WiFI adaptor but very little news about how it actually works since.....

I can't quite work out (if this does work...) whether it needs the software key upgrade (CDKZ-UPG01...) or whether it will work with just the dongle and downloaded app. Equally, does the 'app' work with any WiFi enabled device or does it have to be a smart phone or tablet or such like?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Dan
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: PMW-200 & WA01 Wi-Fi Adaptor

Hey, short answer it crap, I have one spend a week playing around with it. No good, I back in the box where it will stay. Xmpiolet I used will I think that's what it's called. If you can get it to work with a iPhone love to know how.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #3
New Boot

Hey Robert,

Thanks for your feedback... was it a PMW200 you were using with it? I don't think XMPilot works with the 200, just this 'app' to control camera settings. (That said the WiFi dongle is designed to be used with XMPilot with the PMW500 and PDW700/800 I believe).

When the camera was released it was announced that controlling the camera settings with the WiFi dongle would be a feature that would be available in the next firmware upgrade for the camera.

Anybody else with any experience with the WiFi adaptor and the PMW200?

Dan
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Vortex Media

The WiFi adapter does work with the PMW-200 but you can only control a few simple cameras functions, you do NOT get a live streaming video image like you can get with the PDW-F800/700.
Old April 11th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Doug, sounds good. Thankfully I don't need the live video streaming only control of zoom, exposure and focus etc. Do you know if it needs a software key option upgrade thing to work with the camera or if I just purchase the WiFi adaptor will it work right out the box?

Dan
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Vortex Media

I believe that you just need the hardware, but I have to say I am not a fan of that product and cannot recommend it.
And keep in mind that if you will probably also need some kind of remote tripod head control too, because what good is zooming and focusing if you can't re-frame the shot? There are very few shooting situations where changing the focal length without pannning or tilting to change the framing will look very good. Just food for thought.
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Might be useful for remote focussing when the camera is used on a steadycam or jib.

One thing that's confused a lot of people is that there is no app or software. You just connect to the WiFi connection and then use your web browser to log in to the camera and the control functions are displayed as a web page.
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #8
New Boot

My plan is to use it with a remote camera pan and tilt head. I do quite a bit of live event stuff and we are wanting to put a camera in places where you can't get an operator etc. so are wanting to give this a go for controlling the camera.

Thanks for the heads up on the app thing Alister, is it just as simple as connecting to the wifi connection, opening your web browser and then your off? I can imagine adjusting the iris and zoom is quite straight forward but the focus I can see being a bit fiddly.... have you any experience with this?

Thanks for all your help and feedback folks. All valuable stuff!

Dan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds