At half the price of a 1-chip PMW-100, anyone used an HM-150 XDCAM with an EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 7th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Inner Circle

At half the price of a 1-chip PMW-100, anyone used an HM-150 XDCAM with an EX1?

Other than the usual low light performance differences between chip sizes, the HM-150 with it's 1/4" 3-mos sensor seems like it would be a good workflow and CODEC B-Camera for the EX series.

At $2000, it's the only modern solid state camera in that range that isn't AVCHD. For those with no need for 422, it seems like it could be a good match.

Has anyone used both of these cameras together? How's the wide angle adapter and hood?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: At half the price of a 1-chip PMW-100, anyone used an HM-150 XDCAM with an EX1?

This video is shot with both a JVC HM150 and a EX1R:

Do remember that the JVC pixel shifts the sensors, and you will get very limited DOF on a 1/4'' sensor.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: At half the price of a 1-chip PMW-100, anyone used an HM-150 XDCAM with an EX1?

Small sensors have MORE depth of field than large ones, not the other way around. It's low light performance than suffers with small sensors.
Jonathan Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, but to the shallow DOF DSLR crazed generation, they see more DOF as limiting...

That's probably what I was trying to say.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I see what you mean.

This generation of people who are obsessed with limited depth of field probably have a lot of footage out of focus, that's all I can say. I have a hard enough time getting a 1/2" sensor camera consistently in focus. But then again, I do documentaries, where it's very "run and gun" style shooting. This is not a place for cinema-style cameras and large sensors.

Back to the original post, I have used the JVC HM-100 and HM-150 and I find them to be very decent little cameras with excellent image quality and the same XDCAM workflow as Sony. In fact, the file architecture is the same and you can use the Sony Log and Transfer tool in FCP to ingest the footage. The smaller sensors are a little more noisy in low light than you will see with something like an EX1, but the picture quality otherwise is very good.

Jonathan
Jonathan Bird is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds