Best way to shoot and export to SD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 14th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #16
Vortex Media

Re: Best way to shoot and export to SD

Eric, I think you need to go back and read my posts again. Where did I say anything whatsoever about 1920x1080i? Why are you bringing interlaced into the conversation and implying that I am advocating interlaced? Nothing could be further from the truth. I am even more against interlaced than I am against 720P (BTW, 720P/60 is worst kind of 720P). Interlaced is dead, SD is dead, and 720P is dead. Just go to Best Buy and try to buy a TV that is native to any of those formats.

Les, I agree with you completely. I've run the same tests myself, and there's no easier or better workflow.
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
(BTW, 720P/60 is worst kind of 720P).
May I ask you, why?.. How do you feel about 1080p60?..
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
I am even more against interlaced than I am against 720P
The original post was shooting 1080sp which is the 1440x1080 interlaced mode of the EX1R. If the motion characteristics of 24p or 30p work for the intended subject, great; otherwise, you appear to agree that 720p60 is a reasonable alternative to an interlaced format.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #19
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Spektor View Post
May I ask you, why?.. How do you feel about 1080p60?..
Because I think anything with 60 fps begins to have the cheap, local news, home movie feel of interlaced video, even though it is not interlaced. 24P and 30P have a more cinematic look and are associated with higher-end productions. Plus 60p is incompatible with FCP and 1/2 my frames will be thrown away to get down to 30p. And, on top of all that, when done right, 1080p60 contains so much data that it requires a dual-link or 3G HDSDI external recorder.

Of course, it is all subjective and I wouldn't try to talk someone out of 1080p60 like I would out of 720p. 720p is a bad choice because it is not trued HD and we live and work in a HD world now. Shooting and editing in 1080 future proofs you work -- at least until 4k comes along.
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #20
Trustee

Just to throw my two pence worth in.

I work and edit with a 1080p sequence on a timeline in Premiere (CS5 & CS6) This is my full edit master. Next create a new sequence in the format you want to work in (SD in your case) Now drag the Full HD sequence into the SD timeline and use the scale to frame option. The result is excellent and you can still edit the master at any stage, any new edits are automatically updated in the SD sequence.

Hope this doesn't all sound too complicated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds