Sony 32GB SxS card problem. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 8th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Latest firmware is v1.15
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Hi again!

This is assuming you've got brave (foolish?) couples willing to risk being filmed with the windswept, wet dog/drowned rat look that our current UK wide November weather might throw at their wedding arrangements!
Thats exactly the kind of night it is here :)

Hello Andy, I'll give them a ring again and as you advised, I then might ring Sony.
I only emailed and rang once since this happened. It isn't their fault either. I know its silly but I almost feel I'm pestering by ringing, I don't want to bother them but I had my share of bother that weekend.

No way will I use this SxS card,.. for anything. Lucky enough I don't have a wedding this weekend so I have a little time to get it sorted.

Thanks Andy.

Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean
No way will I use this SxS card,.. for anything. Lucky enough I don't have a wedding this weekend so I have a little time to get it sorted.
Hmmm, you see, my feeling then is why are you not prepared to use the card - but are prepared to use the camera/nanoFlash combination?

I don't see anything in the symptoms you've described which would make me think it's more likely to be one over the other.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
.. why are you not prepared to use the card - but are prepared to use the camera/nanoFlash combination?
Hello David,
Would you use that card for recording a wedding? If you would, your a braver man than I, especially after the way it behaved when inserted in to the laptop and desktop.

Say for instance nothing happen at this wedding. Everything went as usual, no problems at all regarding this SxS card.
Then, when I arrived home and inserted the card into the laptop and nothing happened. Laptop didn't see the SxS card, card out and in again still nothing showing up in My Computer and again the same happening in the Desktop, would you not think, there must be something wrong with this card (especially when the other SxS card copied 100% first time to the PC's) and would be very brave to use it at my next wedding.

Now, I could be completely wrong here but it looks like card problem to me. May be its the camera. Could it be? If someone thinks different please say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
.. but are prepared to use the camera/nanoFlash combination?
I want to use both, thats the idea, I duel recording system, a backup.
I would not be prepared just yet, to use the NF on its own without the camera recording, a backup.
I hope to use the NF as an independent recording device, along with the EX3.

Again thanks David for your thoughts, thanks.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; November 9th, 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean
Would you use that card for recording a wedding? If you would, your a braver man than I, especially after the way it behaved when inserted in to the laptop and desktop.
I'd be as happy to use the card *as I would the equipment that recorded onto it*. I would have as many doubts about the camera as the card. More, probably. As I said before, the few instances I've heard of card problems, then once dead, they stay dead. That doesn't seem the case here.

You say "the way it behaved when inserted in ......" - but what I'm asking is what if the CARD behaved perfectly, it was the way the CAMERA wrote data to it that was the problem?

By the sound of it, it was probably a one-off event. In practical terms, what I would do is check, check, and check again the equipment, in exactly the configuration (with NF etc) you'll next be using it for real. And do it with both the card you are suspicious of, and other cards.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #21
Trustee

Hi David and thanks,

You could very well be right, it could be the camera, I just don't know.
I intend to test again, as you suggested and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Anthony.
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:05 AM   #22
Trustee

Re: Sony 32GB SxS card problem.

I'm getting the faulty card replaced.

When I insert the new card (SBS-32G1A) into the camera slot will i get the message saying i need to format the card in order to use it or are these new SBS-32G1A cards ready to go and don't need formating.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:37 AM   #23
Major Player

Hi Tony.
Always format
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:02 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Hi Tony.
Always format
Thanks Colin.

What I also want to know is.
If its a brand new unused SBS-32G1A card and I put it into the camera will it say in the VF that it has to be formated first.
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
What I also want to know is.If its a brand new unused SBS-32G1A card and I put it into the camera will it say in the VF that it has to be formated first.
If it's a new card right out of the package you shouldn't get the format prompt from the camera. Sony will have already formatted the card in FAT32 before it leaves the factory. This has been my experience but I've always used the camera to format every new card I've purchased before I've used it. It's the same as getting a new hard drive. Format before use.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:45 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
If it's a new card right out of the package you shouldn't get the format prompt from the camera. Sony will have already formatted the card in FAT32 before it leaves the factory. This has been my experience but I've always used the camera to format every new card I've purchased before I've used it. It's the same as getting a new hard drive. Format before use.

- Don
Thanks Don for that.

I got a new card out from the package (toren a bit) and inserted it into the camera.
I didn't get the "you need to format the card" message and immediately thought "its not a new card".
I just thought,... if its a brand new, I need to format and if it doesn't need formating, its not new.

So, if its already formated by Sony it looks like its a new, unused card after all.

Thank you.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds