Mack Warranty - positive results in the end... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 25th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Mack Warranty - positive results in the end...

We've all heard the Mack Warranty horror stories. Mine wasn't going very well to begin with, honestly.

My EX3 was having some problems with poor component video output and it wouldn't run off the Sony battery. I sent it in and it was gone about a month. Once they started, they realized that had no batteries to check it with and asked me to send them mine with the charger. When the camera was returned to me, the component video problem was fixed, but it still wouldn't boot from the battery.

Oh, and now the A and B slots were reversed.

So, I sent it back (they paid for the shipping) and upon receiving it the second time, after about three weeks, I was thrilled to see that the battery would boot the camera AND the slots were oriented correctly. I was so excited, I sat down to perform the firmware update so I could record high-speed to my memory cards.

Except the PC wouldn't recognize the camera. Something was wrong, and it had to go back again!

This time, I worked more closely with Scott at Mack and he with me. I tried to really communicate the inconvenience and actual loss of income dollars that these repairs mean. The communication was much better than before - he kept me informed every step of the way - and the steps were rapid. He shipped my camera in for service via overnight, ordered a board via overnight, and shipped it back via 2-day.

All in all, this third time, I was very pleased with the service. My product was packed correctly (for the first time) in shipping. They went the extra step and updated the firmware for me. the even replaced screws as necessary as some were getting messed up from all the assembly/reassembly. From the day my camera left to the day I got it back was only a week and a half!

So, although we got off to a rocky start, Mack did come through for me and provided me excellent service in the end. I felt that I owed them this post, after complaining so much previously.

Oh, and would I buy their warranty again? Hmmmm. Still on the fence a little. On a lesser camera - sure. For equipment that's been out a while - probably. For a brand new to market camera they've never seen - not quite sure. If I did, I would start by renewing my relationship with Scott just in case something did come up. I'd also be very communicative during the process and hope that helped their attention to my product.
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow Ted, sorry to hear about your troubles. Glad you are getting it sorted out. I bought the Sony extended warranty but have yet to need it. All issues on mine were covered under original warranty.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #3
Major Player

that still would be a horror story for me.
One time i had to send a Editing VTR in for service, when it came back it had this and that wrong with it.
so BEFORE i sent it back, i wrote a LIST of things THEY could check before sending it back to me.
Sure enough it still came back with 2 of the things on the list wrong.
Good thing i was learning how to tear them apart and fix em myself.
To bad i never quite got the, getting it back together thing though :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds