telezoom for EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Major Player

telezoom for EX1

will this work for EX1???
Raynox HDP-9000EX High Definition Telephoto Conversion Lens for High Definition Camcorder
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It says it will on the web site. Interested to know the quality, if you get one please report back with some samples.
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Major Player

me interested too, the weight seems high. while the EX series doent have rubber dampeners on the lens, and so it will hold that solid, with the weight of that, i would wonder if it didnt need its own crane and bungee :-) to keep undue pressure off the lens.
or say like rail things and something lifting some of the pressure off?
one wrong move, and can they bore and re-thread the lens :-)
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Raynox are not particularly well known for high quality optics. better to spend more if you can afford it on a better quality product.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Major Player

like what???
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

These are usually pretty good:
Sony PMW-EX3/EX1 Attachments - Schneider Optics
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Raynox make bottom end products for fixing to bottom end cameras - been there done that back in the Super 8 days.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM   #8
Vortex Media

I have the Schneider 1.6x and it works great.
1.6X TELE-CONVERTER HD EX1/EX3 - Schneider Optics
I'd definately recommend it.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Major Player

Any chance you could post something you've shot with it?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:06 PM   #10
Vortex Media

Sorry, I don't have time, and there's really no point anyway. The picture quality is just as good with or without it, the only difference is you're zoomed in 60% closer.

There are quite a few shots in my EX3 training DVD that demonstrate it, but I wouldnt suggest buying that DVD just for that. :-)
Old January 24th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #11
Major Player

"The picture quality is just as good with or without it..."

Sure would be nice to see something to support that before I drop a thousand bucks. ;-)

Sorry you're so pressed for time.
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #12
Major Player

B&H has it cheaper and free US shipping: Century Precision Optics | 0HD-16TC-EX1 1.6x | 0HD-16TC-EX1
$774
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #13
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark OConnell View Post
"The picture quality is just as good with or without it..."
Sure would be nice to see something to support that before I drop a thousand bucks. ;-)
Sorry you're so pressed for time.
Isn't that really the manufacturer's job? Where's their examples? It's their product.
Either take my word for it, or don't. It makes no difference to me.
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I just shot the Century Precision Optics 0HD-16TC-EX1 1.6x Telephoto Converter Lens, without knowing what I would need it for. ;)
It was just a good chance on the bay.

So, I came to this heavy piece of glass and my first impression was: whoooow, within the first half of the zoom length one fully sees the lens itself as massive black vignetting in the picure. I assume this is normal, but I never was aware of it. This makes it much less usable for my taste - one can only put it on when knowing, that full zoom is that what is needed for the next shots.
I was hoping that it is usable as all the wide angle lenses - simply zoom what you need, if its not zoom through find focus again and use it.

So my question is: it is normal that the telephoto converter is usable only from half zoom way till full zoom?

I am not sure, if I should keep it...
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Klatt View Post
I just shot the Century Precision Optics 0HD-16TC-EX1 1.6x Telephoto Converter Lens, without knowing what I would need it for. ;)
It was just a good chance on the bay.

So, I came to this heavy piece of glass and my first impression was: whoooow, within the first half of the zoom length one fully sees the lens itself as massive black vignetting in the picure. I assume this is normal, but I never was aware of it. This makes it much less usable for my taste - one can only put it on when knowing, that full zoom is that what is needed for the next shots.
I was hoping that it is usable as all the wide angle lenses - simply zoom what you need, if its not zoom through find focus again and use it.

So my question is: it is normal that the telephoto converter is usable only from half zoom way till full zoom?

I am not sure, if I should keep it...
Markus,

It is perfectly normal for the tele-converter to vignette for at least half of the zoom range. For it not to vignette the diameter of the lens would have to be roughly 4x the size it currently is which would make it cost and size prohibitive.

As far as tele-converters are concerned, the quality of the converter is very important because you are magnifying the existing manufacturers optics. A lower quality attachment is immediately apparent.

Thanks,
Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds