Tips for Shooting Sunset Scene at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 21st, 2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tips for Shooting Sunset Scene

I have a music video shoot coming up where the couple are sitting on a bench looking at each other, with the sun setting over the sea behind them. Using EX1

The challenge is to expose to get a good sunset, but still see their faces.
I am hoping to avoid using lights, but rather a reflector to bounce some setting sunlight onto them.

I'd appreciate any tips or experiences others have on exposure, filters or any other strategies.

Thanks
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Telecam Films

The silverish side of refector should work well (gold would be too warm), but if the sun sets in a nice red sky, why not just silhouette them, that would look pretty too.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM   #3
Trustee

I would go out and practice this shot before doing it. The specific sky at sundown will have a lot to do with what you can get. If its clean I expect it will be very hard to hold the sun while getting any exposure on the faces. In any case it may be very hard until after the sun has set unless there is nice clouds that still allow you to see the sun. its very tricky and changes second to second.
It may be a good idea to use a long lens and throw the sun out of focus, that makes it dimmer and bigger in the shot.
Consider the silhouette alternative.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, thanks Thierry and Leonard,

I have done a sort of mock up which wasn't too bad, but every sunset is slightly different depending on how much and what sort of clouds are around.

Yes, I did suggest the silhouette - the client would prefer visible faces, but he does know it may be silhouettes if it doesn't work out.

The problem is it's so hard to persuade the sun to go back up for another take.
I'll probably do an early take, 5 mins or so before actual set, then another with that magical lighting change.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Just a thought. In addition to using a reflector to bounce light in, you could set your angle a little above them, and slip in a soft edge ND9 to back off the sun's exposure. Throw in an ND6 as well if necessary. You might need it.

If the sun is low enough, you won't have to be positioned too high. The sun will only occupy 15-20% of the top of frame, so it won't look contrived.

It will work best with a cloudless sky, of course. If too many clouds, the ND's will be more visible.

Actually, if there are too many clouds, you'll be back the next day, anyway :-)

Last edited by Mark Savage; October 22nd, 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

This one of the toughest shots since you have a very short time window to get it and as you said, just about every day has different atmospheric conditions.
I'd be tempted to put that battery powered spot light out there to illuminate the faces since otherwise it may be days and days before you get the right atmospherics again.
Frank Casanova is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds