Best Slo-Mo for 1920 Project?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 1st, 2009, 07:16 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Maybe I'll suggest to the BBC that they get rid of their Varicams for their Planet Earth style projects and de-interlace a 60i camera instead! Get the feeling I know what the response will be.
Steve
Now that you mentioned Planet Earth BD, this is a excellent example of all of a sudden pictures goes to crap, I have Planet Earth Blu-ray, 95% of the time the picture quality is excellent, but when there is a scene of the crocodile jump out of the water and catch his prey, the picture all goes to crap, it was super slomo scenes, I don't know what happen there but it looks like you are watching HD then all of a suddent it goes to DVD quality, I think they had to overcrank and combination of extender for closeup make it worse, people have different taste, I would prefer the same picture quality with less closeup and not as good slomo, just my opinion.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:43 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Now that you mentioned Planet Earth BD, this is a excellent example of all of a sudden pictures goes to crap, I have Planet Earth Blu-ray, 95% of the time the picture quality is excellent, but when there is a scene of the crocodile jump out of the water and catch his prey, the picture all goes to crap, it was super slomo scenes, I don't know what happen there but it looks like you are watching HD then all of a suddent it goes to DVD quality, I think they had to overcrank and combination of extender for closeup make it worse, people have different taste, I would prefer the same picture quality with less closeup and not as good slomo, just my opinion.
The super slomo stuff was with a Photron, and it's the nicest of cameras and not really HD, that's why the pictures looked crappy. The shots either side of it would most likely be Varicam, a 720 camera, which you seem to be saying looked OK.
And all the latest blockbusters from the NHU are also largely Varicam, no 60i slomo in post in evidence.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
The super slomo stuff was with a Photron, and it's the nicest of cameras and not really HD, that's why the pictures looked crappy. The shots either side of it would most likely be Varicam, a 720 camera, which you seem to be saying looked OK.
And all the latest blockbusters from the NHU are also largely Varicam, no 60i slomo in post in evidence.
Steve
Steve
Your point about 720 is well taken. I would have no hesitation in using 720 overcrank in a 720 project. As I mentioned earlier, that would be one solution for me.
The problem I have is uprezzing the 720 overcrank to 1080 in a 1080 project. That's when it appears soft on BD.
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:39 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
The problem I have is uprezzing the 720 overcrank to 1080 in a 1080 project. That's when it appears soft on BD.
Again, I'd just point you towards Planet Earth on BluRay, it's largely 720 Varicam and looks sort of OK to me.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Again, I'd just point you towards Planet Earth on BluRay, it's largely 720 Varicam and looks sort of OK to me.
Steve
They look great because they were consistent until they have to use a different camera, but then there are a few scenes that are just jaws droping, those might be shot with the Sony 750, the workhorse was the varicam you are right, no ones is arguing that 60i has better slomo that 60P, it just that I preferred consistent picture quality than less quality with better slomo.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
there are a few scenes that are just jaws droping, those might be shot with the Sony 750, .
Don't get much more jaw-dropping than the snow leopard attack, and that was Varicam.
If there was an issue here there is no way these multi-million £ projects would have an still are shooting with 720 Varicam.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds