Focussing Tips? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #16
Trustee

To help myself on handheld quick focusing I also just run a piece of white camera tape on the lens barrel so i can see it over the flip out screen and I make marks for infinity , 10' 5', 3' etc. Keeps me in the ballpark when I'm wide.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
... the EX is a bear to handhold. I've found it extremely difficult to avoid tiny bits of rotary motion...
I always use the EX1 with a shoulder brace. It eliminates the problem of rolling and also greatly reduces pitch and yaw. Makes the camera a lot easier to handle, although you do lose some of the portability.
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Shoulder Brace

Dean,

Which brace are you using with the EX1 and what do you think of it? (Sorry to thread-jack.)

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Stephen...

I'm using a CAVision shoulder mount. But it's heavily modified. Made the camera "platform" using Plexiglas and a small amount of epoxy. Replaced the hollow carbon fiber rods with solid rods. And added a Plexiglas wireless receiver mount to the back.

Regarding focusing, I'm 100% manual. I shoot strictly with the eyepiece, rely on the image expansion feature a lot but I don't use peaking at all. I also make use of the DOF info provided by the "lens info" bar.
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #20
Regular Crew

EX1 Focusing

Dean,

It's interesting how two people can be completely different in how they focus. I hardly ever use the eyepiece, preferring the LCD screen with the SockLoupe. I also use the peaking feature (blue color) religiously. But I think you and I are on the same page using Expanded Focus to lock in solid focus.

There are so many tools to help with manual focus, I don't ever see myself using any of the AF modes.

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Stephen...

Using a hooded magnifier with the LCD screen is probably better than using the eyepiece. It's probably very similar to the setup Sony created for the shoulder-mounted HDCams.

I'll probably end up doing something similar. The only drawbacks are the LCD on the EX1 can't be shifted outward to accommodate eye position, and it would make it harder to access the volume adjustment knobs.
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
I was thinking this was true with video too. I know at 16 mm 2.8 has a lot of dof, and at 300mm 2.8 eyes can be in focus and ears out.
There was a big discussion here about how and why this isn't true. Telephoto doesn't affect DOF. I can't find the link, anyone?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
There was a big discussion here about how and why this isn't true. Telephoto doesn't affect DOF. I can't find the link, anyone?
You must be talking about video, because I know for a fact Telephoto does affect DOF in photography, I use this technique several times every day.
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #24
Major Player

Two things affect dof, iris and focal length. Wider iris, less dof, longer lens, less dof. But, if you set a frame on a subject, then move the camera further away and zoom in to the same subject frame, the dof at the subject remains the same. What you've actually done is reduce the field of view, which has the effect of looking like the dof is reduce, but it's the same.
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:33 AM   #25
Inner Circle

DOF is defined as the "Area in focus". Zooming doesn't change the area in focus, it just further softens what's already out of focus. DOF measure AREA, not DEGREE of softness. It's a state of range, not intensity. So it's not really as you guys are saying.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:45 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
DOF is defined as the "Area in focus". Zooming doesn't change the area in focus, it just further softens what's already out of focus. DOF measure AREA, not DEGREE of softness. It's a state of range, not intensity. So it's not really as you guys are saying.
I stand corrected, you are right, I guess I was referring to bokeh.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:45 AM   #27
Regular Crew

anybody know how to speed up the auto white balance?

thanks,

dano
Dano Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #28
New Boot

I really like the lens info depth of field monitor. It displays what is in focus with a white bar. When you are on a long lens the focus bar may cover 8’ to 9’. Zoom out and it shows 4’ to 20’. It is an easy quick way to see where you focus is. A lot of it’s effectiveness is based on your skill in judging distance.
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #29
Major Player

I got to try out the Ex1 at a wedding 2 weeks ago, used it as a second camera to the A1 since it was new. I have to say focusing was no issue as long as I had a few seconds to zoom, focus and then compose. Only a couple times was I relying on the steady footage from the A1 to cover the focusing process.

I am using almost all EX1 footage, it is just that darn good. Amazing how nice the picture quality is.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds