phu-60k for EX1 and S&Q motion support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 11th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Tourist

phu-60k for EX1 and S&Q motion support

Is anyone else able to record onto their phu-60k in s&q motion mode. I can for about 2 seconds then i just get a media error message. Do you think I have a bad hard drive unit (as ive heard there are some bad units out there), or is it that the phu-60k doesnt support s&q motion because of the high transfer rate (as a friend told me) ?

Cheers

Steve
Steve Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Major Player

As I originally understood it, the PHU-60K does not work for under/overcranking.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Tourist

Just got off the phone to Sony tech support. They are looking into it. Expecting a phone call tomorrow. He was saying that it might be neccesary for either the ex1 or 60k to have a firmware update to correct the problem, so not sure if it will be possible to do this or not yet. If not then i'll get a refund on the phu-60k and get a larger capacity sxs card...
Steve Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Major Player

I was set to buy the PHU-60k, but I was told fast or slo-mo is not supported - by about 4 sources which is enough for me.

If all it takes is a firmware upgrade then I will be shocked, as I was told the EX-3 is included.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Major Player

The EX-1 requires the firmware upgrade to work with the PHU-60 but I repeat my understanding that it does not record S&Q motion.

It is a nice product however I really personally would prefer to liberate myself of hard drives. It might be a very dependable 1.8" drive, but it is still mechanical and far more susceptible to failure than solid state media. Just my own personal rant here.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Trustee

Not to mention it's only 60GB.
Sure this would be great to use for event shoots... but, com'on... why only 60GB?
Especially these days... 60GB drives...

Also, when 32GB SxS memory comes down a bit, or we figure out how to get other 32GB cheaper media to work in the EX1... Which may be real soon...
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Not to mention it's only 60GB.
Sure this would be great to use for event shoots... but, com'on... why only 60GB?
Especially these days... 60GB drives...

Also, when 32GB SxS memory comes down a bit, or we figure out how to get other 32GB cheaper media to work in the EX1... Which may be real soon...
It is 60Gb for $1000 vs. one 32gb SxS for $1400...
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Trustee

If you can wait a bit, prices will fall for 32GB.
Also, we soon will know if there are other work-around solutions.
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The PHU-60 hard drive does not support over/undercranking because the data rate is too high for the unit's USB 2.0 interface. This is straight from Juan Martinez, who is the senior technology manager of Sony Electronics.

No amount of EX firmware upgrading is going to change this.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Trustee

I hear you Don..
Also, I can't remember which one, but I read on a Sony site that mentioned it could not do S&Q.
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Trustee

the local rep told me it doesnt work with S&Q too at the EX3 launch
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
The PHU-60 hard drive does not support over/undercranking because the data rate is too high for the unit's USB 2.0 interface. This is straight from Juan Martinez, who is the senior technology manager of Sony Electronics.

No amount of EX firmware upgrading is going to change this.
I also notice when perusing the available 1.8 inch drives that they are usually ATA100 and 4200 rpm. That's probably not going to support the higher data rate required by over cranking. Under cranking might work though.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds