Low Light Profile? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 6th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Low Light Profile?

Anyone have a good PP for low light? I haven't had much time to work on one for indoor use and was hoping not to have to reinvent what someone may have already accomplished. If you've got one can you post the actual settings instead of a SUF? The EX3 doesn't seem to match up with SUF files from the EX1. Thanks!
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm sure someone else on this board will have a more elaborate suggestion but ...have you tried a profile with gamma in STD4 setting? STD4 seems to stretch the blacks a bit.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm using either STD1 to crush, or STD4 to stretch the blacks - anything else at default (unless I'm doing portraits, where I would use the Skin Details settings). All this in combinations with the proper WB preset.

Whether I would compress or stretch blacks is usually an artistic decision, though with really dark scenes, compressing the darkest areas along with the inherent noise is just a necessity.

Using any Cine gamma renders the mids too dark.
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #4
Major Player

I've used basspig's with pretty good success. It is noisy as heck BUT if you've ever watched A&E's First 48 when then have night scenes it looks kind of like that at +18dB gain.

http://www.basspig.com/PMW-EX1_PP.htm

If there is a lamp on or something indoors I just use my go-to picture profile of Bill Ravens' True Color 3. +12dB of gain is usually more than enough for most indoor shots...sometimes I can get away with -3dB with bright enough areas (bright overhead flourescents). Tru Color 3 is available on the picture profiles recipe page here on DVInfo. It's not on Bill's post but if you follow the evolution of the profile you'll find a post with the updated settings.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=110902&page=8 under Steven Thomas' post. Here's the recipe for easy reference:

Bill Ravens' True Color 3

Matrix ...............on
Select................hisat
Level..................0
Phase.................-5
R-G...................75
R-B...................0
G-R...................-18
G-B...................-32
B-R...................-27
B-G...................13

Gamma Level.............. 0
Gamma Select.............CINE1
Black..........................-12
Black Gamma..............0
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help. I'll start testing tonight.
Rick Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds