Samples after 2 weeks with PMW-EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 25th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Samples after 2 weeks with PMW-EX1

After 2 weeks with the EX1, still very excited and impressed.

....working hard to learn more on the EX1.

0. read manual once
1. so far, bought and went through twice the Vortex video (highly recommended)
2. tested using on sachtler, Gitzo, and Bogen heads
3. went through various lighting and microphone combinations.

these samples were from monday, using
1. manual focus with peaking at high and blue
2. manual iris, mostly 2.4 to 4.0 with zebras (although pretty useless outdoors!)
then again, an understanding of DOF works real well with the EX1 as the Fujinon is
truly a great camera lens
3. -3db gain and cine4
4. used a manfrotto monopod and shot mostly from above my head
5. 1080p at 30p and 1/60 seconds
5.5 steadyshot on!
6. mike used was on camera but in a Rycote CCA shock assembly
7. shotgun mike was a Schoeps CMIT 5U (CMIT-5U, CMIT5U)
8. LitePanel Micro LED at mid level. no filters.

First sample mostly wide to normal and manual focus modes.
http://www.vimeo.com/1230454

I uploaded compressed versions of 3 videos but kept them at 1920x1080 and 30p. i'd say if you download these samples from the link on the bottom, the fidelity is about 60%+ of the original raw footage. watch them on quicktime after download on as large a monitor you can find!

Second sample normal to short telephoto modes, harder to focus now.
http://www.vimeo.com/1231031

I have a third sample still uploading that really demonstrates the long telephoto capability of the Fujinon, even when handheld.....stay tuned.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The clarity of the EX1 screams. I'm a recent father, so this sort of footage is actually interesting to me. Thanks for posting the party footage.

In such situations (I mostly do indoor action sports), I'm thinking that Manual + Auto Assist would work well, though I'm currently working on Harald Schreiber's TOSlink mod to connect the remote control to the EX1. Manual mode + push-auto really sped up the focusing process with my Z1. Even though many speak against Auto-focus, it is often much faster when it doesn't miss. Also, apparently -3dB is not the peak of quality. Rather, it functions to limit the upper limit of the video, so you never hit the rails at the expense of shadow detail.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #3
Major Player

gints,

here's that 3rd video segment i promised. it really show off the longer end of the EX1 fujinon lens and the ease of focusing there.

http://www.vimeo.com/1232821

although the EX1 has no spot metering, the exposure latitude is not bad and scenes with strong backlighting are held under control. just remember to use that hotshoe light!

you mentioned not using -3db. what do you recommend?

finally, congrats on your new addition!
you'll find a lot of good use for your hd cams.

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
The clarity of the EX1 screams. I'm a recent father, so this sort of footage is actually interesting to me. Thanks for posting the party footage.

In such situations (I mostly do indoor action sports), I'm thinking that Manual + Auto Assist would work well, though I'm currently working on Harald Schreiber's TOSlink mod to connect the remote control to the EX1. Manual mode + push-auto really sped up the focusing process with my Z1. Even though many speak against Auto-focus, it is often much faster when it doesn't miss. Also, apparently -3dB is not the peak of quality. Rather, it functions to limit the upper limit of the video, so you never hit the rails at the expense of shadow detail.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #4
Major Player

DIVX 1080HD sample!

The entire iMovie sample from 1920x1080 at 29.97p clips, 9.5 minutes worth compressed down to 421mb using DIVX 6.7 converter for MAC.

Ideal to post onto VIMEO.com.

Even when played on the streaming portion of VIMEO, this DIVX file looks very good.
once the 421mb file is downloaded, it looks almost 60%+ of the original Sony PMW-EX1 footage.

http://www.vimeo.com/1248363

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds