Strange White Balance Setting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 5th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Strange White Balance Setting

So I am shooting today in a warehouse and did a manual white balance that read out as 3500K. Ok. I then went into my PP and set the white balance preset to 3500 manually. Guess what? Looks different. Quite a bit in fact. Both times my PP was on, just switching from Preset WB to my A which read out as both 3500.

Anybody seen that or know what is up.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
So I am shooting today in a warehouse and did a manual white balance that read out as 3500K. Ok. I then went into my PP and set the white balance preset to 3500 manually. Guess what? Looks different. Quite a bit in fact. Both times my PP was on, just switching from Preset WB to my A which read out as both 3500.

Anybody seen that or know what is up.
Saw it as well. Had 3200K assigned to both A Memory, B Memory and Preset; while switching between them the colour temp changed (but not the reading)...
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Trustee

Is the general temperture color way off or perhaps the amount of green or magenta that may have changed it.

I would think that when you an auto white balance the color temp reading is based on how it evaluates what the white balnce circuit just accomplished. Its just a general indication for your benefit.

When you do a manual adjustment of the preset to 3500 then the camera is doing something quite different- its taking your preset and moving it what it considers to be a 300 degree change toward a warmer balance. I would not expect them to be the same or for them to be neccessarily accurate re the 3500 reading.

Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Good to know Lenny. Thanks. So is that common then? My past camera(s) did not tell me the WB temp when I did it off a white card so I would not have noticed.

Second question then: I am shooting for a company that I will be frequently returning to. Is there anyway to save this WB setting in a PP so when I come back I can recall it? Or, if I understand what you are saying, would setting a WB off a card and getting a 3500 setting in the future yield the same result as what I have now.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Trustee

I don't know but you could try it. If you need to match this footage that's a great idea.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Major Player

One of the things I love about this camera is that you can set white balance by eye. No need for warm cards or even a white board for a manual setting, and it's so quick to change on the fly. Just keep the WB selector to preset and change the preset with two flips of the joystick until the monitor give you what you want.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds