What Zebra Settings are you Using? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 28th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I use both zebras set pretty high. Zebra 1 at 95% so that it shows me everything that's in the 90s. zebra 2 is locked at 100, so it shows me when whites start clipping. I used the histogram to watch out for blacks falling off the bottom. Like Randy, I come from a still photography background. As long as the highlights aren't blown and the shadows haven't turned to murk (this is where all those picture profiles can help), I can adjust the tonality (especially deepening the midtones) in post.

Clark

P.S. I'm still learning this video thing, so I am open to other ideas.
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #17
Trustee

For me, if I want to use BOTH zebras at the same time I can set one only. If you look at the Status page you'll see the number listed for zebra 1 and 2 simply listed as "On."

I also find that if I set the zebra to a number and switch between 1 and 2, that number does not change. It does not seem to store a separate number for 1 and 2 unless I'm doing something wrong.[/QUOTE]

I get the same with the zebra setting,select setting 1,set it to whatever,then select settin 2 and the number is the same,so adjust that to whatever,then when you go back to setting 1 that's been changed,so know both zebras are the same !! Surely if setting 2 is not changeable then the number should be greyed out or set at 100.

And both zebra's can be used at the same time,i can select 1 or 2 or both.
1 slashes one way,2 slashes the other.
So what settings have EX users settled on ?

Paul.
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
So what settings have EX users settled on ?Paul.
So far, 80% for Zebra 1 and 100% for Zebra 2 is working for me. There is a certain amount of detail remaining in areas of the picture that were "blown out" at 100% which was something that didn't happen when I shot MiniDV.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
For me, if I want to use BOTH zebras at the same time I can set one only. If you look at the Status page you'll see the number listed for zebra 1 and 2 simply listed as "On."

I also find that if I set the zebra to a number and switch between 1 and 2, that number does not change. It does not seem to store a separate number for 1 and 2 unless I'm doing something wrong.
I get the same with the zebra setting,select setting 1,set it to whatever,then select settin 2 and the number is the same,so adjust that to whatever,then when you go back to setting 1 that's been changed,so know both zebras are the same !! Surely if setting 2 is not changeable then the number should be greyed out or set at 100.

And both zebra's can be used at the same time,i can select 1 or 2 or both.
1 slashes one way,2 slashes the other.
So what settings have EX users settled on ?

Paul.[/QUOTE]

Paul: What you are adjusting is JUST ZEBRA 1 (that's why it does not change). It is confusing, I know, but the thing is Zebra 2 is NOT adjustable - it is 100% all the time.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Peters View Post
I use both zebras set pretty high. Zebra 1 at 95% so that it shows me everything that's in the 90s. zebra 2 is locked at 100, so it shows me when whites start clipping. I used the histogram to watch out for blacks falling off the bottom. Like Randy, I come from a still photography background. As long as the highlights aren't blown and the shadows haven't turned to murk (this is where all those picture profiles can help), I can adjust the tonality (especially deepening the midtones) in post.

Clark

P.S. I'm still learning this video thing, so I am open to other ideas.
Clark: As Zebra 2 shows you when you get to 100%, by backing off a little you are in the 90s, so what do you get from your Zebra 1 at 95 (90-100)? How do you use that information?
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

I did a simple test, to ascertain what zebra 2 is set to; I make it 105.

I started off by setting zebra 1 to 100 then flipped between 1 and 2, I kept changing the level of zebra 1 and flipping between the zebra 1 and 2 until the zebra patterns matched, arriving at 105.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Simon
Simon Frances is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds